Please help - computer major fail.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ophie, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Ophie

Ophie Private E-2

Booted up my computer this morning as normal. Was doing a little work when it froze completely. Had to shut it down manually. This is a dell xps 9100 with a dual raid 0 setup running windows 7 home premium.

So when I booted it back up it started running error check and has now run it repeatedly but has insufficent disk space to correct the errors. I've tried to cancel out on startup (by pressing a key as per the instruction but can't get in to backup my stuff). I get an error about .

When the disk check completes I get uspecified error 736463686b2e6378 79d.

As the system check runs and re-runs it seems to be finding more and more errors. This system is supposed to give me warning if a disk is failing in order to back it up. That function has worked correctly once with an external drive but this just came out of the blue.

My entire life is on this computer and I've been in the middle of a huge move so haven't been able to back it up. What should I do...let it keep running the file check over and over again? Take it into a shop? Is there any way to boot to safe mode to get in and save my stuff?

I don't know if this is a widows problem or a hardware problem. If anyone has any insight whatsoever I could really use some help.

Oh and also it gets through the first phase of file check no problem but goes awry in step 2 and 3

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  2. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

First off I would stop the checks.
    Second, post if the drives are the ones in the raid and if possible which controller they are on
    Third, do you have access to another 9100, spare HDD, USB you can use to boot from or swap components with?
    Fourth, exactly how far along your boot are you getting? I assume the bios loads, watch carefully and post exactly what steps are successful.
    That error is not unknown but not really helpful either. Often associated with a bad drive or bad driver.

3. Ophie

Ophie Private E-2

right now it's stuck in "correcting error in index $0 for file 25" so once it completes this check I can stop it from starting again. I was able to get into the bios last time I stopped it. It is one of the raid 0 drives that is showing the error, I don't have access to a spare. When I try to boot in I get to just before my home screen...

I should also mention that the first time the check ran, one of the errors was associated with Spyder (calibration utility for my monitor) but that one hasn't shown up since the first check ran.

4. Ophie

Ophie Private E-2

Does this help?

Attached Files:

5. Ophie

Ophie Private E-2

And now if I cancel out of file check I get a black screen, so that's as far as I get. (Less than last time).

6. Ophie

Ophie Private E-2

I originally had an external hard drive plugged in (prior to my move) I plugged it in and when I turned on the computer this time it started 'startup repair' so that's running now.

7. Ophie

Ophie Private E-2

So this is what happened. The startup utility ran for hours and got me in. It said there were errors but I managed to get everything backed up. Then, I went to the utility that was suggested and it said that the Arraye 0 had failed and gave me an option to restore it which I did. The utility says now that my computer is function normally but I'm not sure the Array is set up as intended. Not sure where to go from here... not sure if this was a windows issue or a hardware issue still.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds