No browsers working, but connected to wifi

Discussion in 'Software' started by outdoorgal, Mar 24, 2015.

1. outdoorgal

outdoorgal Sergeant Major

Hi all,

tried to fix this since yesterday but no go. The one thing that I know of that may have caused it was using Free Hide IP, But I am not sure.

Toshiba Satellite L775D-S7132, 64 bit OS, Windows 7, AMD Processor, SP 1, 4 GB

When I run a speedtest.net, it shows the wrong IP for me now, and shows I am in Ireland. I have not a clue how that happened, even if it had to do with Free Hide IP as I could only choose a US "fake" IP.

Here are the fixes I've tried by getting too the Windows Forums:

Start
    Cmd
    Run as Admin
    netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
    enter
    reboot

next:
    Looked for these files as someone said they were viruses but I couldn't delete the first one with file assassin and I didn't want to mess with it, scared me since I should just trust everybody.

the file was csrss.exe, conhost.exe, dwm.exe (no clue what those are and I didn't search for the last 2 so don't know If I have them or not. AGV ran clean, Malwarebytes came up with Free Hide IP files. They didn't go off my computer though?? Still there after I chose to have MBytes remove them.

Somehow, my proxy server choices were changed as well, so I reset those to "let them be picked by the system" (can't remember what that choice says now, but those Ireland numbers were all filled in??)

Can't even pull up google 64.233.181.104 page, tried that as well.

Someone on Win forum said to run, C:\temp, then delete all temp files. Did that earlier when emptying cache etc, cookies, history. At first my computer was just dragging like a 5 on the download and we should get 14, which my sister puter is getting just fine, no problems with hers at all, we share through the router.

That last fix I also did the disconnect and reconnect to wifi, still no go.

I can't restore to my restore points I had set because like a dummy, I didn't know when I ran my disk cleanup it would delete those, or so I found something on that in my search for solutions.

If anyone can help, I would so appreciate it, thank you, denise

2. outdoorgal

Hi Joe,

Can't thank you enough for responding. I did the uninstall the right way, through Programs/uninstall. I did reboot as well. I didn't run ccleaner as I wouldn't have known to do that, but I don't have the program yet anyway, can't get it now on my laptop as you know. I felt I was not doing the right thing, with the File Assassin, although it has helped in the past. I'm just not savvy enough, just rely on folks to know what I haven't learned yet.

What would you recommend at this point? Can CCleaner still be run if I download it from my sister pc to a flash drive? If it's not to big that is for my flash drive, I think it a smaller one, but I'll check if you say to try that. I saw regedit come up on the Windows page but I didn't try that, as joe breaths a sigh of relief, lol;) Still in need of direction if you or anyone can help. Yes, those Free Hide IP files are still on there.

I had them show up, as I said, both in Search Everything software, and first in Malwarebytes which I thought would get rid of them. Do you know anything about my IP address being changed to Ireland?? Geez, that one is way weird.

I'll check back when I can, this is my sis's computer, but I get gmail on my NOOK so at least I know when someone replies;) denise

3. outdoorgal

Followed your instruction Joe. I did do a reboot of the router, although I don't know if that had anything to do with it, but I got gmail. com up on Pale Moon browser. Just came in to my sisters pc though to keep you up to date. I don't know, it's not all fixed I know that much. Got an error message that says:
    Error:
    Some gmail features fail to load due to internet connctivity problem. If it persists reload the page. Gmail looks fine, but I have tried sending. I did see your message so tried to click the mj link but no new tab opened. It may but wayyy slow.

What do you think at this point? Again, can't tell you how much I appreciate this. denise

4. outdoorgal

Nope, couldn't open an email. The page came up, but then I watched the clock and it passed 3 minutes.

This is something that's never happened so I am clueless as to what is going on. My sisters pc is working fine so it's my laptop. Not the internet.

5. outdoorgal

I hope this helps someone with the problems I was having. I finally went into my Network Sharing area, and Windows Troubleshooter wanted to help me so I let it. Smartest thing I've done in a long time. It showed me the DHCP (and I read what it is but I'll let you look it up, easier that way)settings were "off" and so I was asked if I wanted Windows to fix it, and I said yes. It worked, my browsers are now connecting to my router.

I'm sure someone here can explain what actually happened, and that would be greatly appreciated if you get the chance. But basically, I let Windows Troubleshooter fix the problem. Denise:)

6. outdoorgal

I do still have the issue of "slow" page loads, so I went to speedtest where they are showing I am in Ireland, LOL! Without joining the speedtest site, they allow you to go through the list and pick a new server location. It says I am getting speeds of 14 which is what our service gives us. So now I'm going back to gmail, and see how the pages are loading there, and a few other sites. denise

7. outdoorgal

Ok, webpages are loading way slow, but speedtest says I'm getting the maximum. Anyone have a clue? I'll keep working on it, myself, but always appreciate help if anyone is about;) denise

8. outdoorgal

My IP Address is still showing up as an Ireland, and I've tried changing it every way I can find. Pages are loading so slow, sometimes not at all. I am really hurting for some help here. I feel the Hide IP program I used caused this. I need to wipe out this Ireland IP and replace it with my same IP I've had since I moved here last Summer. My sister has that on her computer as well as it showing on Speedtest. I am not even allowed on some of my sites because they think I'm some flake from Ireland, HELP!!

9. theefool

theefool Geekified

Click START, then RUN, the type in CMD. Press enter.

Type in ipconfig /all > output.txt
    notepad output.txt

Post here the results you get of output.txt

you can delete the file from the command prompt with

del output.txt

I'm guessing your DNS is using Ireland's IPs. But, I could be wrong.

Just for some info.... DHCP is just a bunch of IPs in a range. For example: 192.168.10.5 - 192.168.10.10. Gives you a 10.5, 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, 10,9, 10.10. Your computer boots up, requests an IP from dhcp, DHCP then gives you an IP in that range, say, 192.168.10.7. Now your computer has that IP, and no other should have it.

DNS:

Similar to a phone book. Your name = (xxx) xxx-xxxx (US).

So, home.pc = 192.168.10.7

You ping home.pc you will get 192.168.10.7

This is just the basics.

10. outdoorgal

Hi TF, it took me forever to get here, I will be back with the copy of command ipconfig /all, sorry, my laptop is so screwed up:( denise

Here it is:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  11. outdoorgal

Thank you for taking the time to answer TF, I am lost on this one. I usually figure them out eventually, but this has me pulling my hair out. Wouldn't be that big a deal except I am working on a new website. The older I get, the more I realize how little I need all this;) But some other folks are depending on me too now;) Anyway, I'm going to go read for awhile although I'll leave this on in case you get back on:) maybe tomorrow, hit it fresh, that usually helps;) denise

12. outdoorgal

This morning the pages load in about 30 seconds, but I've made no changes since talking to you TF, also, for example, I can open my email, but if there's a link, say, to this site? It takes about another 30 seconds to a minute to connect me to MJ, same with my other regular sites like seniorforums.com. All sites seem to work about the same speed. With same issues. I move around well within the site, but links, or pulling up new tabs or links, still, very slow, I'd say about 5 of my 14 speed I should be getting on downloads.

I am "just" looking at DHCP info, DNS again etc. And yes, Speedtest.net is still showing me in Ireland, but when I move the server preference to Oregon, I get it to show 14 full speed. But it doesn't give me that in reality, not opening pages on internet;) denise

13. outdoorgal

New info, speedtest doesn't show me in Ireland now, but the IP address is still unknown to me

54.154.1.183. I tried to locate it but says it's anonymous. I'm back from Ireland at least, it' looks like it anyway, LOL. I keep comparing my settings to my sisters, and they are not the same, although we share the account. She has not slow issues, like mine. Sorry if this is TMI, denise

14. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Don't get hung up on IP addresses. ISP's own blocks of them and which one you get allocated each session is entirely a matter of chance and has little geographic relevance. You will not be given a fixed IP address unless by arrangement with your IP. The address you have quoted is assigned to Amazon Web Services - does that ring any bells?

Attached Files:

15. outdoorgal

Ok Earthling, especially after reading all I have on IPs I can understand that. There's only two, things that I don't get though. Why, if my laptop is running on the same router as my sisters (just one extra computer in the house) does it show a different IP? Why does my Nook Tablet pick up Internet just fine as always, but my laptop just took 2 minutes or so to load Majorgeeks. from link in gmail notification of your reply. then when I hit reply to, it took another couple minutes to load this?

My sister's is running at full-speed, not that fast a service but 14 on the download. About 2 on the upload. My speedtest from that odd-ball IP is saying 14 as well, but my pages are loading slow?

I ran my updated AVG last night, no issues found, Malware bytes, no issues. But there is something wrong, and I don't know how to find it. This is 3 days now. Are there any ways to analize this further because something is wrong, and it's not going away on it's own.

I do so appreciate your help. I know you are "few" on the site so I don't want to sound in the least, unappreciative, as I have no one else I can ask for help. And the age, old problem of finances, and taking it to a shop;)

Thanks you again, Denise

16. Earthling

That is a very good question indeed. All computers on a home network should have the same internet IP, so you are using a proxy where your sister is not. What happens if you use IE?

17. outdoorgal

It was the same yesterday for IE, Pale Moon, and FF. I'll go check now. I also notice my page keeps loading, even though it's loaded, maybe I'm loaded, but pretty sure not, lol;) I'll be back as quick as I can. That means, well, who knows;) Even at 14 download my pages "were" loading before this all started in a matter of seconds;)

18. outdoorgal

both slower then FF, and also, I couldn't even get into speedtest.net, and after 2 minutes, I gave up. I get back on FF, and again, my password isn't saved in gmail, or on majorgeeks, so I start to retype it on MJ and poof, it opens in my account. This is nuts.

I checked all my settings for passwords in the options menu, and they are both set to save. Well, the box is not checked on "settings" for clearing history, and also mj and gmail, also my seniorforums are on the list to "save passwords" in Security area.

19. outdoorgal

both slower then FF, and also, I couldn't even get into speedtest.net, and after 2 minutes, I gave up. I get back on FF, and again, my password isn't saved in gmail, or on majorgeeks, so I start to retype it on MJ and poof, it opens in my account. This is nuts.

I checked all my settings for passwords in the options menu, and they are both set to save. Well, the box is not checked on "settings" for clearing history, and also mj and gmail, also my seniorforums are on the list to "save passwords" in Security area.

1 min, still trying to post this..1 min 30 sec..2 min and beyond..

20. Earthling

Must confess I haven't meticulously studied every post in this thread but I think there was an earlier reference to your installing a program to hide your iP? That is very likely the cause of this problem and frankly, if you don't have an image you can restore that predates installing that program then I haven't a clue how to get rid of it. Have you tried system restore?

21. outdoorgal

Yes, but by using my Disk Cleaner, I evidently removed all my restore point dates. A factory restore, I don't see how to do now, although I've done one in the past.

One thing I discovered is that my sisters FF CPU usage is up around 54% or more, where mine right now is only like 10 or 12%. She has facebook open and her gmail, that's it, so I closed it, but it didn't make my system faster.

If I can restore to factory settings I would do that at this point, but all I could find was the restore system, and it came up with a red X saying I had no restore points/dates?

22. Earthling

Shooting from the hip here but anything reversible is worth a try. Open the Firefox menu > Options > Advanced > Network tab > Settings and try No Proxy. (I realise this problem isn't confined to Firefox)

23. outdoorgal

I had tried that option, but it didn't make a diff. Can't thank you enough Earthling, as well as the others that helped.

I remembered how to do the Factory Reset so backing up a couple of things here, then I'll go for that. I hope it works. If it doesn't, I sure can't figure it. I tried one of my games I get from bigfish?? They run fine, so it's about the internet/browsers I guess;)

I'll come back and let you know how it turns out. I'd like this laptop to last awhile longer, lol:) I've taken pretty good care of it, and it's been a honey, all through 2 years of college starting in late 2011-2013, then up until now:) ttyl, thanks again, Denise;)

24. outdoorgal

Now I've done it, my laptop came unplugged during Restore to Factory Settings. I mean, I accidentally unplugged it. So I tried to restart to do the reset, and it's stuck on the same screen it was on, and won't go any further. I am pretty sure I am screwed:(

Just say it, I can take it:cry

25. outdoorgal

Maybe good news, not sure, can't find much by googling. I restarted the laptop, and I got the screen with all the options on "how to start it" and I just tried "start normally" so the little Windows Icon came up, and then the Restore Wizard, just where it was when the plug came out. Now it isn't doing anything, and it's been about since I posted that last comment??

I can get the black, dos screen to select how to start, as I said. Is there something I can do with that to get the Factory Reset to start working again?

Thanks, denise

26. outdoorgal

Ok, I did fix it. Here's what I did if anyone is helped by it, I hope maybe it will be of some use. Yes, I accidentally uplugged my laptop while it was restoring. Then when I just repeated the "hold down zero key" and press start one time, the same screen came back up, and it stuck there doing nothing. So not being the most patient, and I had just read of someone's being stuck there for 2 days, lol, I turned it off. Then I held down the F8 key, and found I could get to the dos and the "how to start" I wanted to choose. So did that in safe mode, same thing again, straight to that screen that said Recovery Wizard for Factory Default Software, something like that.

So I turned it off made sure I held down the off button for like 10 sec. Then I held down the zero key, and remembered to wait for the beeping that was supposed to occur (which never did). So then I got the right screens, starting with the Red Warnings, and so on, choosing which type of restore etc. Never a beeping, but it is showing the "blue line of progress and about halfway now. So looks like I will have it back to default factory settings.

I'll let you all know here though;) denise

27. theefool

theefool Geekified

Well, hope all is well after your process finishes. Keep us updated!

28. outdoorgal

it's going great, I installed Pale Moon, tell you guys more tomorrow, pretty burned out, but it is going so well, I feel really lucky I didn't screw it up so bad it couldn't be fixed;) And thanks to you guys, I got some really good hints;) denise

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds