Programs that come on a new Laptop

Discussion in 'Software' started by outdoorgal, Mar 25, 2015.

1. outdoorgal

outdoorgal Sergeant Major

I am doing a factory restore and typing this on my sister's computer, because I'd like to know the "right" way to deal with all those unwanted programs that will most likely be showing up on my laptop as when I bought it.

I had a horrible time getting rid of Norton the first factory reset, over 2 years ago I think it was. But anyway, do any of you have a really good plan for cleaning up a "new" computer, lol!

Maybe I should just ask what you do with a new computer that has all that "junk" on it hoping you'll buy into all their "suggested" programs.

Thanks in advance;) for any ideas, this is no huge deal, but I would like to hear from mj because I read all kinds of crap online if I just google it, but you guys are my brilliant ones;) lol, I know, flattery will get me diddly;):-D Denise

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

PC Decrapifier is one of the tools often recommended here but you may still end up having to manually remove some of the unwanted stuff.

3. outdoorgal

That's the one, yes I remember hearing about it:) Ok, so I know Geeks has it for download so I may give it a go. Thank you Earthling, denise

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

An easy way to remove Norton anti-virus is the Norton Removal Tool. However, it may not be needed if you first use PC Decrapifier.

5. outdoorgal

Ok US,

I remember using that and still having traces of Norton. I can remember being exasperated at trying to clean it out completely, although it probably wasn't so necessary. If something says I can't remove it then I'll show it right, LOL:) Thank you much. As I signed on today, a popup was showing from Norton trying to get me to join some deal of theirs, and buy in ya know, denise

PS I'll keep you posted because I see all that crap did not come up on my desktop, Recycle Bin only. But in my installed list of programs, theirs a bunch, but much of that is needed. I wonder since this is my second restore, and, maybe some of those programs are so old they didn't load them? Outdated I mean, and they probably wouldn't give me the latest and greatest with an older laptop? Weird hey

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  6. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

When you restore to factory then everything is restored to exactly as when bought and first used. If you don't have some program now, you didn't have it then either.

7. outdoorgal

That's been my understanding, but there was nothing on the desktop. I'll take a quick look here at what's on the "installed" list besides Norton.

Ok, just looked, yep, things like Wild Tangent games are in the installed list. Evidently I just didn't get any shortcuts on the desktop this time. Looks like many I remember being there when it was new;) denise

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds