network name or ssid

Discussion in 'Software' started by peterr, Mar 26, 2015.

1. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

There is an icon that indicates internet access in the lower right corner where I can see my network Wi-Fi name or I think it is the SSID.
    My question, if you change that name on one of the devices like laptop or phone, or desktop, must you do the same with each device on the network?

Is this done at the device or at the router?
    Below is my note for doing so.

"Change network name i.e. network3 to network[router and all devices same] = run secpol.msc. = network list manager policies>dot in name and put in new name and apply"

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

It's being broadcast by your router and can only be changed by accessing the router's configuration pages peter, though why would you want to change it? However when you click that network icon you may get a box pop up showing other SSIDs. These are other routers being used by close neighbours and you would not normally attempt to connect to any of them.

3. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I understand I may see my neighbors SS IDs.
    I think when you are troubleshooting, the network adapter may change the SSID and I wondered how to reset it back to where it was.
    I have finally found out how I was just curious whether it was done at the device or in the router and now I know it is the router oboe using secpol.msc each can be changed individually.
    I am all set and thank you.

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

It simply is not possible for a network adapter to alter a router's SSID.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds