Guess What...

Discussion in 'Software' started by Xintus-1765, May 28, 2008.

1. Xintus-1765

Xintus-1765 Private E-2

A friend of mine just gave me an old pc, it's a Pentium III, with Windows 98, the problem is that the PC looks like is going to load,it shows that is reading and loading and get freeze and never load the system, I leave it for an hour waiting and nothing happen...

Now honestly I want to reset it and erase everything have inside, unfortunely I don't have the Windows98 Installation CD, did I really need that cd or there's another way to reset the system without the operative system CD ?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI

Well at some point you will need an OS CD to try and fix an OS, but at what point does the pc loading seem to hang at, when its going through the bios boot info, or at loading Windows, with Windows boot screen?

Had this PC worked before you got it or has it been standing idle and not used for ages? if idel for a while then give the insides a clean if dusty, and then reset the BIOS, pop out the motherboard battery for 5mins or so, then pop back in an boot.

3. Xintus-1765

Xintus-1765 Private E-2

The PC was working perfectly, actually start giving me some troubles for getting online, but besides that nothing happen, my nephew was installing some POS kids games and after that start getting slow, I used CCleanner, AVG Antivirus, AVG Antispyware, Ad-aware and it clean it and get back to how it was it before, but suddenly just crash like that and nothing happen...

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Ah if you used latest version of AVGs products then they are not Win98 compatible and could be cause of your issue, so see if you can boot into safe mode ( reboot and tap F8 and choose Safe Mode ) then uninstall the games and what you installed as in AVG apps, then reboot and see if it loads.

5. Xintus-1765

Xintus-1765 Private E-2

I connect the hard drive as slave to my laptop and true there I could check with those programs, however everytime that I checked it tells me that nothing was happening, but it recognize the hard drive but not the folders inside, so I don't know waht happen...

Basicly like I said, I want to reset the computer and erase everything that was int hat PC before, do you have any idea how to do it without a windows98 CD ?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds