Ultimate boot disk- how to restore? My windows don't boot

Discussion in 'Software' started by unn, Feb 10, 2014.

1. unn

unn Private E-2

Hello, I need some help. Laptop, windows XP with SP3 etc. Computer was functioning fine untill I used DrRTCP, supposed attemptin to "increase TCP receive window". On restart after using DrTCP, windows don't start, message "windows\system\vgaoem.fon missing or corrupted". My laptop has been through previous mess ups and as a result the "recovery partition" is already messed up and not functional. So windows repair is not a possibility. I have the "restore disks" but I understand that using those will restore the computer to factory.

I have "Ultimate Boot CD (UBC)" but i am not really familiar with how to use it. With this I have already recovered my data files and other important things

Question: 1. Is there an easy way of making the windows to sart booting?

2. If not, I saw something in UBC about remote editing the registry. Since the DrTCP changes the registry setting (not sure what settings), how can i go in UBC and rechange those settings. Now this is what I did with UBC; after installing it, a screen opens wchich has a blank box for a value for TCP. I filled that box with 32000. All other boxes were already filled with the word "default".

3. Failing above, Is there a way I can "restore to a previous restore point of windows" using the UBC?

Failing any of these, I do have a few months old Norton Ghost back up of my laptop. I know that I can boot the laptop with Ghost CD and restore the back up therefore restoring the windows. I am trying to avoid that though. Thank you for your help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds