The Ultimate Cooling Solution?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jedi Master, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Jedi Master

Jedi Master Private E-2

I am preparing to create the ultimate cooling setup. Please let me know what you think.

For the CPU:

http://www.asetek.com/default.asp?showPage=startside.asp&param=sideid&myvalue=14&contentSection=2&menuID=-1

For the GPU/chipset:

http://www.asetek.com/default.asp?showPage=startside.asp&contentSection=2

For the Raptors:

http://www.xoxide.com/untwofanhadr.html

For the RAM (system and video card):

http://www.xoxide.com/ramsink1.html

Here is my system:

Abit IC7-G mobo
    P4 3.2 800FSB
    2 GB Corsair XMS dual channel PC3200 RAM (may be changed to 1 GB OCZ DDR550)
    (2) 74 GB Raptors in RAID 0
    Radeon 9700 Pro (being replaced by X800 XT once it has been released for a month or two)
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum
    Lian Li 61 case (front 80mm fan, rear 80mm, top 120mm blowhole)
    Enermax 550 watt PSU (rear and bottom 80mm fans)
    PCI slot cooler (20 cfm exhaust)
    Samsung 16X DVD
    Plextor 52X CD-RW
    NEC 8X CD+RW dual layer

I realize that I can cut back on a lot of the fans once I get the water/phase cooling in. I will still keep them all going, just slowly to keep heat from building up. I also realize that the fan coolers don't work that well on hard drives, but I don't want to fool with water cooling them and I don't have any extra 5 1/4" bays to fit them in a containment-type cooler. Any feedback on this idea is greatly appreciated.

2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Top two links are duff, ramsinks are good. What you gluing them on with?

You feel up to some modding? Have you got enough space to make yourself a drive cage? You could get a 5 1/4" bay 3 1/2" hard drive harness (you know the sort, just a bit of metal with flaps in the middle to screw the drive into. If you got a couple of them, stacked them on top of each other, made sort of a box, you could make your own fan setup (with cool air coming from a system intake fan at the front of the case..) which would blow air dowm them (rather than at them) with 3 or 4 on the intake and 3 or 4 on the outtake, so you would have a contant stream of air. That way you dont use 5 1/4" bays, AND you get a better solution.

Alternativley, ever think of a Zalman ZM-2HC1 Heatpipe Cooler for the drives? As far as I can see it doesnt make the drives go into a larger bay, but obviously as its essentially passive it wont be quite as effective.

3. Jedi Master

Jedi Master Private E-2

4. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Lol, that doesnt work either!! How bout giving us the part name so we can look it up?

5. Jedi Master

Jedi Master Private E-2

I had planned on using Artic Alumina to hold the heatsinks to the RAM.

I don't think I have the room for a drive cage, but I do like the idea of the Zalman coolers. I imagine that they will work better than the fans anyway.Thanks for the tip.

6. Jedi Master

Jedi Master Private E-2

Sorry for all the dead links.

From www.asetek.com

For GPU/chipset:

WaterChill VGA & Chipset cooling kit - KT06-L20 [220V/10mm]

For CPU:

VapoChill LightSpeed [AC]

I couldn't find the part number for the CPU cooler, but it is on the website under Products, Vapochill.

7. Cashy

Cashy Private First Class

Can't go wrong with a waterchill.

My Setup

I've had some upgrades since those pics, like an abit IC7 MAX 3, and 2x 36GB Raptors.

8. Jedi Master

Jedi Master Private E-2

Cashy, that is one awesome setup you have. Looks great.

I looked at the Koolance Exos-Al too. I think that my case might be too crowded with a phase-change tube for the processor and an entire water-cooling system. That way I could just route the tubes through a PCI slot. What is your opinion on those?

Also, I have never had a water-cooled system before. Is there much risk of anything being disturbed by carrying the system around to LAN parties?

9. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

Wow :eek: That is really cool. I had mine done up with neons and wire sleathing and other stuff, but the neons wold die after a month. What brand do you use?

:cool:

cooked

10. Beast_USA

Beast_USA Private E-2

Jedi,

Just finished putting my VapoChill XE together a couple days ago :) :) :)
    It's great...but it's got a few bugs in it.

Nothing I didn't get around :)

@4300 mhz -29.5C ...3d2001@4284 at -27.5C

If you get one PM me :)

11. Cashy

Cashy Private First Class

The system goes alright with moving, just don't go knocking it around. If yout going to have the rad and res out side the case, be careful.

I have no idea what brand my cold cathodes are, they just came in a white box, and have been going for about 1.5 years.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds