vista vs ubuntu

Discussion in 'Software' started by KingSteve, Apr 5, 2007.

1. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

i was thinking about dual booting my home pc with ubuntu/xp. i really dont want to spend the 400 bucks on vista for some pretty screens, so i thought about ubuntu. anyone with any experiance with ubuntu? good os? all that type of stuff. never used linux before so...easy to figure out?

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I'm confused.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=122234

Never used Linux before?

For an answer: They don't even compare. You can't compare them, really.

Windows: More software and hardware support. A LOT more.
    Linux: Its free. Its fun. Its A LOT OF WORK.
    vs eyecandy: Linux has more. Ubuntu doesn't by default though.

If you want something to knock your socks off eyecandy wise, try Sabayon 3.3
    www.sabayonlinux.org

The 'buntus are a good place to start learning Linux, but I don't care for them really. Reasons are noted in my blog.

3. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

ip cop is just a firewall with some other services like DHCP DNS Proxy vpn and all that good stuff. you dont even have to know linux to use it. its all command line stuff, but you can access a GUI representation of it from a comp on the network.

i was looking for a Linux OS that i can actually do something with and have fun with. i heard ubuntu was pretty cool but i dont know anything about it. ill look into sabayon and see if i can figure it out. thanks for the reply

4. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

King Steve, if you have new hardware, our resident OSX/Sabayon Grump aka Adrynalyne will help you. I have used 4 Kubuntu releases including the newest beta and for my older hardware, it is a good fit.

Others here may have similiar stories about Suse, or Mandriva- who also have live before you install options. Then you migrate, as I am about to do to a distro like Arch or Sabayon that is more cutting edge.

Frustration level= High
    Expense= Low
    Long Term Satisfaction=Very High.

5. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

so many to choose from! i think ill wait until i go thru my linux class at school otherwise ill be filling this message board with dumb questions...

appreciate the responses guys

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds