4TB hard drive on XP??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rustea, Oct 10, 2013.

1. rustea

rustea Private E-2

Hi
    Windows XP SP3 desktop.
    Will a 4TB hard drive work as external drive hooked up to USB port?
    Will the whole 4TB show up?

thanks

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

If it's 64-bit XP there shouldn't be a problem. But if you're running 32-bit XP, there's a limit of 2048 GB (2TB) that it will access. You can try ASR3TB+Unlocker but, I don't know if it will work on a USB connected drive. Also, Windows will reserve some of the space. So instead of 4TB you may end up with about 3.5TB.

3. rustea

rustea Private E-2

Yes its 32 bit XP.
    Yes I know windows will reserve some space.
    Are you telling me that if 3TB+ works I will get the full capacity with just one partition??

4. mdonah

If it works for the USB connected drive, yes. That's the purpose of the software — to remove that 2TB limit imposed by the 32-bit OS. You, undoubtedly, noticed the list of CPUs supported by the software. But, that list is by no means all inclusive. I've installed ASR3TB+Unlocker on a system using an Intel 915PM/GM CPU without apparent issues.

5. rustea

rustea Private E-2

ASR3TB+Unlocker only works with ASRock motherboards.
    I have asus motherboard M5A87.
    So what do I do now??

6. mdonah

My motherboard is a Dell and I've installed ASR3TB+Unlocker on it. I didn't get any kind of message stating it was only for ASRock motherboards during installation. All I can suggest you do is try it. If it doesn't work, you can always uninstall it.

If it doesn't work, I know of no other way or software to get your 32-bit OS to work with the full 4TB. I don't know if you can partition the drive into 2-2TB drives using a 32-bit OS (Even 32-bit GParted based on Linux).

You can try connecting the drive to a computer running 64-bit Windows with partitioning software on it and split the drive into two partitions if you have access to such a computer.

7. rustea

rustea Private E-2

I tried ASR3TB+Unlocker, there was no way to use it because all that was in "programs" was the uninstaller.

8. mdonah

It works in the background without intervention from the user. But if you're dissatisfied with it, uninstall it. Then see if you can connect the drive to a 64-bit computer as per my last suggestion.

9. rustea

rustea Private E-2

Ok, if it works in the background then it must do something, how does it work, what should I see??

10. mdonah

You should simply see the full 3.5TB available on the drive. Have you connected it and opened My Computer and taken a look at the drive by right clicking on it and selecting Properties?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds