Any bowlers on the board?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Gottheit, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Gottheit

Gottheit General Logic

I just recently got into the sport. I've even gone so far as to get my own shoes and ball, and I'm even looking at another reactive resin ball.

I never really knew what a release the game was. Even if I get terrible scores, I still leave the alley feeling pretty good...My goal is to reach 200, and I almost made it the other day with a score of 179 (my highest score thus far). Hopefully I'll get there.

So, are there any other geeks out there that bowl regularly?

I ask because I like to hear different tactics that people have, and, since I'm new, I'd like to know what types of products work well for what style.

2. Gottheit

Gottheit General Logic

har har. :p

Too bad I'm not old enough to buy beer at the alley.

3. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

I wouldn't say we go "regularly", but we do go occasionally. For the most part, we go and drink beer and play "mark poker" (at least, that's what we call it). Everybody throws in a dollar. For every mark you get, you draw a card. Best poker hand (5 card stud) at the end wins the pot...and must buy the next pitcher of beer with it. :D

I also have been known to be on my union local's team for the local charity bowl events.

I have no techniques...just drink beer! ;) Ahhh...crap...just saw you're not old enough. I have no further advice.

4. Gottheit

Gottheit General Logic

Wow...that sounds like a pretty cool little game. I'll have to try that out next time I go with a group of people...Err, well, with pitchers of Mountain Dew instead. ;)

Dammit...That must be the secret. Even though it is just 1 year away, I don't wanna have to wait until I'm 21 to get over 200.

5. Boccemon

Boccemon First Sergeant

I occasionally bowl. The real challenge I find is in a similar but very different sport, Bocce. I've been playing since I lived on the East Coast in my teens. A lot of us old farts in this area even got together and made two courts, and we play at least twice weekly. Lots of fun. Bowling is quite the challenge also.

6. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

I don't believe any of us, other than maybe the guy who actually owns shoes and a ball, has EVER gotten over 200. I usually am somewhere in the 110-130 range. In fact, it's a rare game when more than a couple of people actually have five cards to play poker. :p :)

Bocce ROCKS! That we play at every party in the summer. I'm much better at that, since the goal changes with every round, unlike bowling where it's always the same.

7. slider

slider Major Wise-***

Yeah - I used to bowl a couple leagues several years ago. Now I just go and throw the ball around. My wife and I both were bowling for a while there, than just kinda stopped. :)

Have you noticed that bowlers consider themselves athletes, while they drink beer and smoke between frames ? :rolleyes:

8. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Remind me NEVER to go bowling with you ;)

9. BowlingMatt

BowlingMatt Private E-2

Hey, I been bowling since forever i can remember... im 17 and am good i guess i average around 191 which has been going up lately. The key for me is just to practice and if you have a pro shop at your location ask him if he/she can help you with your game. But by the way good luck on getting your first 200 its a great feeling!

10. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

We have 3 bowling balls here though nobody bowls as such. The dog likes to pick them up with his teeth and wander round the room with them. I kid you not! It makes me wince when I think of his teeth!

11. Gottheit

Gottheit General Logic

lol...This was posted about a year ago. I've since had many 200 games. ;)

12. BowlingMatt

BowlingMatt Private E-2

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha well im always off somehow well thats good ur getting 200's now wats ur highest game?

13. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

TIME WARP!
    06-26-04 ---~~~~~> Current Day
    There was me thinking I killed the thread! :p

14. BowlingMatt

BowlingMatt Private E-2

woo i returned the post back to life!

15. sibeer

sibeer MajorGeek

Ok, someone bumped the thread. I'm gonna ruin it with another naked story. I bowled a frame naked at a staff Christmas party about 10years ago. I know, that sounds really bad, but you had to be there. Everyone was pretty drunk and a young guy bowled a frame in his boxers. He called me. I peeled the shirt and dropped the pants to the floor, picked up a ball, and shuffled to the line and let 'er rip. Gutterball. I pulled up the pants and went and sat down. Young guy comes over , gives me the Hi5 and says " you have two more balls."

Last edited: Apr 8, 2005
  16. Gottheit

Gottheit General Logic

17. WobblesRArt

WobblesRArt MajorGeek

I have five 300 games, but when it didn’t count…….never in league play…….if scored during league play, you get a ring, and a patch, for the ever present bowling shirt……my 300 games where during things like midnight madness, in a darkened alley with flashing lights, blacklights, kind of like a big party, with loud music too……one of the nights, it was blue chip stamps, the next for money……and then the non regulation tournaments, that I used to bowl in the Kansas City area……one weekend, I had the high game, with a 300, and got $3000.00……..but, another time, I bowl a 300, but somebody else bowled three 300 games, and got the money…

…I haven’t bowled in eight years, my back and neck hurt way to much, for that kind of fun……..I used to bowl in five nights a week in league play, with 197 average….

…when you are at the bowling alley that much, and get in with the folks that run it, and help for free when there are problems……I have stayed in the alley all night bowling, while they were fixing other things……..while in KC, I dated one of the girls, that worked at the alley, all told the company owned seven alley, plus an ice skating rink……..we a few friends found that you can make a bowling ball curve on ice, we did it after the company Christmas party………..wobbles

18. lb4norleans

lb4norleans Who 'dat

Don't bowl yet... although my son works at a pretty big place here.
    Guess I should start, cause he can bowl for .50 cents a game... :D

19. oldmangreene

oldmangreene Private E-2

I used to bowl a few years back when I lived in Michigan..My wardrobe consisted of 5 bowling shirts, 2 flannel shirts for the weekend and 7 pair of jeans

20. StarBow1er

StarBow1er Private Spam

I bowl 2 nites a week...Average 175...not bad 4 a woman I might add.My boyfriend and son bowl also.they both average over 210!

My highest game is 258 just recently I bowled that.A few years back I bowled two 255s in one night in league play.Both my boyfriend and son have bowled multiple 300s.! wow! :eek:

21. StarBow1er

StarBow1er Private Spam

to add to the other one since I cant edit it...I work for a bowling center,Im lucky I get to bowl at nite for nothing! My son and boyfriend bowl also.U should try it.Its fun tho it can get annoying ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds