Windows 2000 Professional: Win Updates Fail

Discussion in 'Software' started by zapp, Dec 30, 2007.

1. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

Folks
    This one is tougher than I thought so I need some expert guidance.
    This is a Dell Optiplex running W2K Pro, IE 6.3, very lean system with Office Pro, skype, google toolbar, Yahoo toolbar [I turn both off] and a few miscellaneous things like picture studios etc. Its free of spamware and viruses [already done - no issues out of the ordinary].

The symptoms vary a little, but if you take time to delete the windows update folder, and clean out all the files from software distribution folder, the system will then go to the Windows update site, dutifully pull up an extremely long list of necessary updates. I manually select just one [I've tried randomly a bunch of different ones], the process will start, then after a very long time fail completely. so I'm sure in the log I have a distinguished string of error codes.

I'm overwhelmed in reading the plethora of notes on these issues on the MS Support site.... there are just too many and its like a months worth of 'try this, try that'... apparently.

if anyone can steer me to the "most common cause" department I would be extremely grateful..

Z

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Open the Admin Tools and under Services check that Automatic Updates is set for Auto (this doesn't mean that it will auto update - it is confusing) and BITS must be set for at least manual. If those two aren't set like that, windows update will appear to be broken.

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

This is being typed on a Dell Optiplex GX150 P3 770Mhz with Windows 2000.
    This machine is leaner and faster than the Acer Vista 1.6 to 2 Ghz dual core that is being discussed in another thread.

That is because I have had automatic updates turned off for the last two years.
    This Optiplex has been running, virus free, for the last five years, with proper configuration.

Go to the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyser (that's a mouthfull)

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/mbsahome.mspx

It will sort out any updates you really need.

5. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

Error Code: 0x80246008

As to services, both are set per suggestions.

I assume that BITS only starts when invoked by another script... its set to Manual, not started.

I'll attempt several here and collect codes and post back

6. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

fair suggestion, stu

as I think I stated, the system WORKS fine, its just embarrassing to give it back to a real novice and say "everything is swell" :eek:
    Perfectly done, I would like to fix the update issue so I'm convinced there's not collateral damage somewhere, AND be highly selective about what gets installed and when/how.

z

7. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

Same error code for last 6 attempted package downloads, over 2 days, different patches/selections.

Clues?

Studiot, I did as you suggested but fail to see much value there. it basically fetches and organizes what I already knew, but does not, as you suggest, make any qualitative suggestion about which of the hundred or so updates are the highest priority. just a long laundry list....

there's gotta be a way to clear this problem.

8. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

hang on steve.. I AM following the advice given, methodically, first-in, first-out. I have been working through the responses given prior to the 8:30 post you reference

9. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

Done.

there is only one hdw profile, the service was enabled in that profile
    BITS was set to manual.
    Do you recommend enabling interaction with desktop or not?
    I verified that the service dependencies were all there and started [all three were started].
    I then tried to start bits - error message code 2147024894

Can someone tell me that this path is correct: path = c:\winnt\system32\svchost.exe -k bitsgroup

In old posts on another forum I found reference to this error. one person said that a microsoft tech suggested relocatin the 'downloader' folder, which i see drilling down in documents & settings.
    Several peeps reported success with that.
    then another person offered the following: could someone check this before I go try:
    If you receive this error message, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
    2. Locate the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup
    3. If the registry subkey exists, go to step 4. If the registry subkey does not exist, create the registry subkey. To do this, follow these steps: a. Right-click Backup Restore, point to New, and then click Key.
    b. Type FilesNotToBackup, and then press ENTER.

4. Quit Registry Editor.
    5. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
    6. Double-click Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
    7. In the General tab, click Start.

thank you
    zapp

10. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

The issue was that the BackupRestore key mentioned in the three webpages I referenced did not exist in the registry.

We're done.

Thanks for all the tips, folks

z

11. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

One final note for those who may search this topic and stumble on this saga.
    for win2ksp4 the issues with windows update/microsoft update are numerous and the only consistency would seem to be that no fix is permanent. In my case I succeeded in downloading and installing a year's worth of updates, and the system survived it all, but the services etc that Win Update depends on were corrupted by the processes, this time with different symptoms and error codes vs. previous, and a different lengthy list of 'fixes' to try.
    This link http://news.only-4-geeks.com/BITS-Service-won-t-start_115546-0-asc-0.html
    provides a good summary of the manifold steps needed to chase down the issues.

best wishes
    z

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds