Windows 7 System Rating, WTH!? & Drivers... Help

Discussion in 'Software' started by EXOX3, Jan 19, 2010.

1. EXOX3

EXOX3 Staff Sergeant

Hey Guys,

I originally had Windows 7 Ultimate x86 Installed on my system up until yesterday after noon, so I decided to back up all my downloads onto DVD discs, and what I couldn't fit on DVD's I just lost, anyway, I continued to put the 64-Bit Windows 7 Ultimate in, I took the partitions out as that was the original reason I formatted my computer, because originally I had the 160GB HDD split into C: 19.7GB, D: 129.8GB, So I deleted both and made the Hard Drive just one partition of 150 Odd Gigabyte (Don't ask me where the other 10GB is, It doesn't see it) anyway, everything went on smoothly, After Windows 7 Ultimate was installed I started installing what drivers I could that are supported by Windows 7, ie: ATI Radeon 3850 64-Bit drivers, Realtek AC97 Audio Drivers, then I started installing my applications (Windows Live, Nero, Google Earth, Limewire, Daemon Tools Lite, etc)

Then I went to play the 3D Chess game that comes with Windows, and in the system rating I originally got a rating of 3.9 out of 7.9, but now that I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, the rating has gone up to 4.2!

I haven't changed any hardware what so ever, the only diffirence that I have changed is I have taken out the partition of the split hard drive and made it a single drive for C:\, so I cannot understand why I get 3 extra points in the system rating in windows....

Has anyone else found this? Also I have a problem with my net connection, it keeps dropping out every now and then, this happened originally with the fresh install of the 32Bit windows, but it upgraded the Ethernet driver which seemed to fix the problem, however I cannot find a 64-Bit driver for it. My system specs are as follows, I also have a problem in the hardware profile for SMBus, it requires a driver, but Asus does not have any Windows 7 drivers for my mainboard what so ever, and I cannot find a Windows 7 nForce 4 chipset package on nVidia's site either... hmmm

System Specifications
    Mainboard: Asus P5ND2 SLI Deluxe
    Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3.6GHz (HT & 64-Bit)
    Memory: 2x 2GB Memory Modules
    Hard Drive: Seagate 160GB IDE ATA
    Videocard: ATI Radeon 3850 PCI Express 256MB

The system seems to be purring along, so I am very reluctant to touch anything, my only other question is, does windows 7 ultimate come with DirectX already installed? or do I need to download it, because when I installed Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit, after I installed a game and went to run it I got a directx DLL error, and fixed it by installing DirectX and away she went...

Sorry to be a consistant pest, I am just really unsure on what to do.

Kindest Regards,

David Giles

Attached Files:

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Yes ALL predominently used windows versions come with a version of DirectX and Windows 7 comes with DX11, if you have an DX error then you have a corruption in the installer (is your Windows version a retail one or downloaded). Some games do need an older version of DirectX in DX9c to run the games properly, basically they need a few of the older dlls, and you can install DirectX 9 in Windows 7 with no issues (it was same in Vista)

3 extra points could be down to running x64 and drivers.

SMBus is that you dont have the chipset installed, and nForce4 should have been installed ok in Windows 7 as iirc its in the default cab pack on install, have you run Windows update to check on any driver updates?

Allegedly the nForce 15.37 drivers support, albiet unoffically the nForce4 mobos, download here may also want to checkout this thread HERE on some modded infs

BUT if your PC is working fine then leave alone and dont change anything until really needed due to an error that needs the SMBus driver.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds