Hard drive space on portable hard drive won't change even when I add and remove gigs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by computerfailure, Jun 9, 2011.

1. computerfailure

computerfailure Private E-2

I have a sea gate 300 gig hard drive and I cannot get the space/size on it to change. I've re booted, taken it in and out and tried different computers but they all think that there is 138 gigs free of the 300. I have a folder of stuff that has said "24.3 gigs" via properties for about a week now though I can open and close the files, play videos in it, and have added about 15 gigs of stuff to the folder. About 3 months ago I created a partition and made most of the 300 gigs FAT32 so I can play it on my ps3. I've had no issues until now. Also, I have the exact same hard drive also in FAT32 and it suddenly will not show up and it appears to be doing the same thing. When I delete files from the folder, the image still shows as it being filled with that file (on my computer). Though moved files etc still work with no issues on my computer.

I have vista, if that makes a difference.

2. computerfailure

Re: Hard drive space on portable hard drive won't change even when I add and remove g

Also, it won't show up on my usb dvd player as of last week. Though as I said, both come up fine on my computer.

3. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Re: Hard drive space on portable hard drive won't change even when I add and remove g

Hi Comp,

I'm sure you remembered to empty the contents of the Recycle Bin. If not the files are still right where they were on the drive but marked as belonging the Bin.

Good Luck, Jim

4. computerfailure

The RB is emptied. This is happening to every single folder in the hard drive though. I ADDED about 30 gigs of stuff to a folder, which I can see, but the folder still says it's only 24.3 gigs. I will delete a file from another folder and the icon still shows it as being there. Both of the hard drives are doing this suddenly and will not work on my usb dvd player but will work on my computer.

5. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I wonder if http://majorgeeks.com/USBDeview_d6115.html this program will show that you have multiple instances of that device showing? I'm just curious--as it still won't explain why it would happen on different computers.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds