wireless internet use

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LRH, Jan 21, 2006.

1. LRH

LRH Private E-2

Hi all,

I have an adhoc wireless network between laptop and desktop. The dekstop is the host computer with the internet connection. The laptop can see the wireless network I have created, but still can't access the net. I have the internet connection shared via the wireless adapter. The laptop is set to 'automatically detect settings' in the IE connection settings. I have tried the laptop's wireless card to acquire a network address and manually entered IP address etc with no success, am really stumped now....

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

L

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

3. taz55

taz55 Private First Class

do you have any securtiy on your network. if so you may have to enter a wep key or similar in order to access the internet.

4. LRH

LRH Private E-2

Ok, have added the laptops IP to norton and even disabled norton, but now I get a problem that when I enable my wireless connection on the dekstop, the internet stops working on the desktop! To reiterate the laptop can connect to the desktop, but cannot get the net shared between them.

I am running windows xp home, firefox, usb wireless adapter. I have the internet connection shared button ticked in the wireless adapter properties.

The laptop has windows xp home, IE, internal wireless cardAny ideas on what is going on?Thanks again,

G

5. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

I think having the ICS button clicked on the wireless adapter is part of the problem.
    If I understand correctly, the adapter is for communication with the laptop. The laptop uses that adapter to talk to the desktop and uses the desktop's other network card which is actually doing the communication with the net. The desktop card is the one that is "sharing" the connection.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds