C:\progra~1\Symantec\S32EVNT1.DLL. An installable Virtual Device Driver Failed DLL in

Discussion in 'Software' started by Elisha, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Elisha

Elisha Private E-2

I had Norton Internet Security 2006 on my PC, uninstalled it and also ran the Norton Removal Utility (Ver.2008.0.1.19)

When I try to install a program, (Presto PageManager 7.15), at the end of the install I got 2 error messages:
    The 1st is "AddPrinter Error: 1796".

The 2nd is related to Symantec: (16 bit Windows Subsystem)

“C:\progra~1\Symantec\S32EVNT1.DLL. An installable Virtual Device Driver Failed DLL initialization. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.”

I’ve researched the problem extensively. It relates to registry key Virtual Device Driver VDD. I tried to delete the key, delete the data value, etc. Nothing helps. When I remove Page Manager & try to reinstall I still get Error messages telling me the Virtual Device Driver is not setup properly or it’s data is wrong.

Below is my HJT log file.
    Please let me know what I need to do.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Re: C:\progra~1\Symantec\S32EVNT1.DLL. An installable Virtual Device Driver Failed DL

Try running SymNRT, the Norton Removal Tool from Symantec. It works better than any of the 3rd party Norton removers. It may be too late, but it might still be able to clean up any remnants. Get it here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Norton_Removal_Tool_SymNRT_d4749.html You should probably also run a registry cleaner. CCleaner has proven itself both safe and effective; run both the disk cleaner and the registry cleaner using default settings and be sure to save the reg when prompted by CCleaner (just in case ;) ). You'll be required to reboot after SymNRT (if it runs), and you should probably reboot after CCleaner. Then retry your installation. Download CCleaner from here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_No_Toolbar_d4191.html

....and Welcome to Major Geeks! :major

3. Elisha

Elisha Private E-2

Re: C:\progra~1\Symantec\S32EVNT1.DLL. An installable Virtual Device Driver Failed DL

Thanks dlb,

I have already preformed all your suggestions prior to posting. (I actually used a newer version of the Norton removal tool). It did not remove the reg key.

I also ran CCleaner and even though it located the above mentioned key and was supposed to delete it, it did not. When I checked the registry after the deletion, the key was still there.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds