networking what wires go where

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bugsey Hogan, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Bugsey Hogan

Bugsey Hogan Private E-2

On standard cat5e do all 4 wires actually carry information or is it only 2.I have serched the web and can't find any referance to the coular codes.I have installed a network cable but I do'nt no which wires go where on the wall socket and there is no diagram can anybody help. I should add the cable is intended to run from netgear router to pc in a different room.

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

You could go wireless and save yourself the trouble. Did you buy a cat5 cable or did you make it? They do not go into the wall socket, unless its a cat5 socket, phone socket will not work. Cat 5 uses 4 cables, Cat3 (phone line) uses 3. Colors on cat5 should be lined up properly.

It should go like this:

Broadband internet goes to the one in port on the router
    Any of the out ports should run the cable to the other computers network card

3. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Cat 5E wiring comprises 4 twisted pairs.
    There are two standards for wiring building sockets. It does not matter which you use so long as you use all the same in one building.

T568B is more common in the UK

Attached Files:

• LAN.jpg
      LAN.jpg
      File size:
      63.8 KB
      Views:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds