Should I keep Adaware.

Discussion in 'Software' started by stylesmarino, Oct 12, 2008.

1. stylesmarino

stylesmarino Private E-2

Gentlefolk,

I have recently made great headway with my system speed through the info on your site.

However, yesterday after deepscanning and then updating my Adaware (not something I do regularly) I found my system ground to a crawl. I was angry. Couldnt do much of anything. On opening the task manager, I found that the CPU was running at 100% and that 99 of that was from aawservices.exe. Ending the process only resulted in it restarting. Making me an angry user indeed. I REALLY didnt need that today.

Using my family desktop, I found that this was to do with adaware and eventually I found a helpful site with a workaround, using services.msc I disabled it, and now all seems to be O.K.

I run AVG 8 and the latest Spybot with the tea timer turned off, like a good boy, because You told me so. Also have CCleaner.

My question is: Is there any point in keeping Adaware 07 (Free) as I have the other two?
    I dont want it, it hurt my feelings.

2. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Several things I would like to address in your post :)

Firstly. Adaware is a good malware cleaner, but the later version has been upgraded and has some bloatware functionality about it that can slow your PC down. You can disable this by following the instructions in this post http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showpost.php?p=1049115&postcount=6

So do you still need Adaware as you are running the other applications you listed? Well, AVG is your anitvirus protection and you MUST have this. CCLeaner is a cleaning applications for temp files, internet browsing history, cookies amongst other things, and is a very useful tool to have. Spybot is a great malware remover as is Adaware. Each Malware tool has different things that it targets, so it is good to have a variety to catch different things. You can read more about options for malware removal tools from here. http://www.majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=20

Moving this thread to Software Forum as it is not a specific Malware issue

3. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Good point Mark - if you are running the full paid version of Adaware then you have many more features running than if the freeware version. Too much realtime protection will drastically slow down your machine. You don't specify which version you have installed.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds