My Computer can't see my DVD-RW drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by A-jay, Jul 5, 2005.

1. A-jay

A-jay Private E-2

A friend gave me a computer the other day. It came with a DVD-RW drive. Not sure of the drive specs. It was working when I first set it up. I tested a DVD on it and instaled some software with it but when I went to instal some more software, nothing came up. I checked through windows explorer and it said there was nothing in the D drive. I tried a few different discs, music, DVD, software etc and still nothing. I just noticed today that when I opened windows explorer it now can't even see a D drive. I opened device manager and scanned for hardware changes. It came up with the DVD-RW drive with an exclamation over the icon, I clicked on it's properties and it said it couldn't read the driver or something, I can't remember, should have written it down. Anyway, it said to click troubleshoot so I did. It said I should reboot first and click troubleshoot again if there was still a problem so I did that. After reboot it poped up a window that said there was a problem seeing the D drive and it may have something to do with the AnyDVD software that was instaled, and I should uninstall it, reboot, install it again and reboot again, I don't have the disc for AnyDVD, it came with the computer but I uninstaled it anyway and rebooted. Then when I opened device manager it again couldn't see a DVD-RW drive even after scanning for hardware changes. The drive still opens and closes normaly. I haven't opened the computer since I got it and it was working fine to begin with. Has my drive just come to the end of it's life and died on me (the whole thing is 2nd hand) or could there be a way of finding the hardware and making it work again? I'm running Windows XP Pro on a Pentium 4.
    My friend did say he could replace the drive but if there is a simpler solution that doesn't involve me opening up my computer it would be preffereable.
    Thanx,
    A-jay.

2. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

well, try going to device manager, right clicking on that drive and uninstall the drivers. reboot, and let them load. see if that helps? if it doesn't, it might be better if you uninstall the drivers, shutdown the computer (unplug the power cord), unplug the dvd drive, then boot back up. then shutdown again, reinstall your dvd drive, boot back up, and let if find the new hardware, and go from there. - sos

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds