How do you search?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DOA, May 6, 2015.

1. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

2. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

No, i still prefer traditional Google. But it's a neat feature. I just prefer the larger screen with more space to read, less squinting.

3. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

No Google for me.
    The girlfriend knows everything... rolleyes

4. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

It depends on where I am and what I'm doing. If I'm already using the computer, then I Google search on it. If I'm away from the computer, then I use my phone. Either way, it's a Google search. I've had horrific luck with the voice search on phones... not sure if it's how I talk or the fact that I'm usually surrounded by noise, but my results are rarely helpful.

The last two weeks I've been on my phone exclusively since my laptop died, but it's not my preferred method. I do prefer searching on a computer, mostly because I'm a 90wpm touch typer and I hate typing with my thumbs.

5. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Siri needs a new command:
    "show results on My Computer"

6. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

I use Google most of the time to search. I think I speak very good English with a slight Southern accent and Siri does not understand me 90% of the time. If I Sink my phone with my car and ask it to "call so and so" I always get "Sorry I did not understand you", then it precedes to give me three options of people to call that sound nothing like what I was saying! :p:( Hate to think where it would send me if I was asking for directions. LOL I might need to learn another language to try.;)

7. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Thanks for the input, I assumed our family experience was common.
    Our family has no trouble with voice commands. Wifey occasionally puts a "R" in wash and other strange pronunciations from her time as Dallas Cowboy cheerleader and Siri cannot understand. But she remembers her "California accent" and all is well.

Looks like computer voice control is still a ways off for many of us.

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I'm kinda still between Bing, Google and Yippy (weird one I know but its clustering setup is great for me in researching medial papers and info), I have tried Siri and its ok, think on balance Cortana has the edge and I use it at times on my Windows Phone for searching and notes.

Cortana works ok in Windows 10 TP also, was surprised at how accurate it is, saves typing, heading into Star Trek areas now of conversing with PCs.

I know that voice controls are not 100% as they cannot really understand everything and get some things wrong, accents I guess at a stumbling point for many of them at present, so if you have a broad accent or speak quickly or sloooowly they cannot catch the words properly.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds