How do i find out if my psu is underpowered?.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Daniel God1, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Daniel God1

Daniel God1 Private E-2

How could i find out if my psu is underpowered to see if its the problem in my computer freezing?. The screen will lock up and the sound will just repeat itself. The only way i'm able to turn it off here is by holding the power button on the case. Here are the computer specs and i haven't installed any new hardware:
    1gb (2x 512mb)
    nvidia geforce 6100 128mb shared
    Amd athlon 64 3400+
    2.21ghz
    Media center editon 05
    eMachines T6420

Also, i have microsoft flight simulator 04 on this computer and can't seem to uninstall it, any ideas?.

2. BCGray

BCGray Guest

First suggestion would be to look in Event Viewer, and see if your getting any error messages, then download Everest available here at Major Geeks, this will tell you your voltages. PSU's from OEM's are extremely cheap, so swapping out an OEM PSU is in Martha Stewart's words "A good thing to do".

Second visa MS flight simulator I always recommend removing stubborn programs with Eraser again available here at MG, then run CCleaner to remove any stray registry items left behind. Hope that helps

3. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

how many watts is ur PSU? 350-400 should be running that setup OK

BTW, is your CPU overclocked...?

4. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Emachine's of old are Notorious for underpowered PSU's

Is this PC under warranty? if so Warranty repairs ASAP

A failing PSU, if that is your Problem? can Kill any hardware!

I wouldn't even run it till I had at least tested the PSU
    The best way is with multimeter.
    Second choice, Antec/Thermaltake & the likes makes an ATX PSU tester, available usually under $20 on line or at local PC shop

How to Manually remove Flight Sim 2004
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888846

5. Daniel God1

Daniel God1 Private E-2

No it is not overclocked. And can you link me to where on majorgeeks i could download those programs?.

6. Daniel God1

Daniel God1 Private E-2

No it is not under warranty. But i'd like to make sure that its the psu before i buy a new one/spend a lot to get it fixed at a shop.

7. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

8. Daniel God1

Daniel God1 Private E-2

How would i find out how many watts my computer is to see if it is indeed underpowered?.

9. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

take off the case's side panel (the left one when looking at the case from the front) and check the sticker on the PSU at the upper left corner of the case

10. Daniel God1

Daniel God1 Private E-2

The plug says 125V
    The sticker says the fan is 115V and the comp is 220-230V. The seriel number is HP-P3527F

11. Daniel God1

Daniel God1 Private E-2

Bump.

12. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

A couple of links so you can calculate how much power you need.

13. Daniel God1

Daniel God1 Private E-2

Not sure exactly on how to use the power calculator, don't know that much about computers. I was able to uninstall flight simulator. But if i do get a new psu how would i install it and what would be a good preferably not too costly one?.

14. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Not being judgemental here Daniel, but given your questions and answers here, I personally think that you might want to get a friend to help that is a little more Comp Savy to change the PSU. It is easy to change when you know how, but is a little difficult to explain here. A good PSU that is reasonable priced is any Thermaltake PSU, but there are many others to chose from. Hope that helps, and no bad feelings

15. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

16. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Sweet PSU Viper_boy I have the same one, removed the inside fan cover guard makes it even quieter with slightly better flow, and hey anybody that sticks there finger inside MY case can get fan burn. Love the dual fan design, just wish they did the same on the larger PSU's

17. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/powercalc.jsp

I calculated it for your pc based on your specs in your 1st post. It comes to 210w. That means your pc needs a 210w or larger power suppy. It's best to buy the largest psu you can afford so that the next psu upgrade will be later.

The TT 430w is a good psu for your pc. Heh, I bought one for my family's rig similar to yours, but it's socket 939. I think yours is socket 754.

Other good brands are Enermax, OCZ, PCC&C, Seasonic, Tagan, Fortron & Sparkle. The last 2 are very affordable at newegg.

I tend to think that it'd be a software issue. I'd run "easy cleaner" (google it) to clean the registry, reboot. Also, disable as many startup programs as you can. They might conflict with the game.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds