It is now [almost] official!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Solange, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Solange

Solange Sergeant Major

As you may know, I quit my job almost a year ago because the leaders of that school made me miserable, and I was very unhappy there (even though I loved the actual work).

I quit because I got a year as a substitute teacher in a school 2 minutes walk from where I live. It is a waldorf school, so the methods are a little different from the ordinary school system, and it suits me much better. I have LOVED my work this year. The school is amazing. Sure, there are problems with the running of it, but that is more in the line of it being disorganised. People don't get treated badly, and I have yet to see a colleage in tears, that was a frequent sight at the old place!

Till now I have lived with the fear of not getting an extension. Because of Swedish laws, if the guy I'm substituting for wants his job back after a year, I have to go. And I did not want to go looking for new jobs, I have already found where I want to be! :)

Now it is official, my predecessor has resigned! So there is a "vacancy" at the school, and the hopes from the school's point of view is that I will apply for the job because they are so satisfied with me! :) Feels great to be appreciated, I never ever had that before!

Wohoo, I'm very happy now! :)
    Long way from the sailing plans. Funny how things turn out! I do teach a small course in technology (combustion engine) as well, so the training and studying wasn't a waste!

2. Natakel

Natakel Guest

Excellent news, Solange! They had better appreciate you! You've taught me a thing or two, and I'm not even a student!!

You go, girl! :celebrate

3. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

A mechanic as well as an English (as in foriegn language) teacher. Impressive!

Jobs you love are worth more than money, I envy ya!

4. the-reverend

the-reverend Private E-2

Thats Great Solange!
    I work in a school too so i know how it feels getting that extension!
    Good luck with your application :cool

5. Calltaker

Calltaker MajorGeek

w00t!! Way to go!! Is always a great thing to have a job you love and someone who appreciates you doing it as an employer.

BEst of luck with it.

~C

6. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Good job Solange!!! Congrats :D

7. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Hey Congratulations Solange, we have a "Waldorf" school here in Nelson, B.C., however the pay at a "Waldorf" school is about half what my wife makes teaching in a "Public School". Is that the case in Sweden?? By the way the Waldorf system works wonders for most of its students too:D

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Congrats Solange :)

Nice when you find a happy job!

9. Gensuknives

Gensuknives Grand pooty-meister

Way to go, Solange........I think you can sacrifice a bit of salary for a happier work environment, but the important thing is "Are YOU happy?" If so, that makes up for a lot.

Teachers are a dedicated lot. All my respect and kudos.

10. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

11. BCGray

BCGray Guest

12. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Great job solange i hope your happy it's great to have a little recognition now and then;

i worked in a job that i really enjoyed but due to a problem with my back and neck i have taken early pension but it's no where near so much fun;

i spent all day every day outside.

We specialized in moveing abnormal loads they could be a max of 150 feet long or 20 feet wide and up to 80 tons;

it helps the day go by when your having fun

13. darlene1029

darlene1029 A Grand Lady- R.I.P. 06/06/2012

Congratulations, not many are happy at what they do, makes life better. Sounds like you more then deserve it.

14. Solange

Solange Sergeant Major

Thank you, everyone! :)

Feels great, like I've landed somehow. :D

I think they do! At least if my boss's word is anything to go by, the one I had the interview with said he had more praise for me than she had ever heard before about anyone!

Pay is crap, at least compared to conventional schools. But on the other hand, it is better than working as contracted engineer/sailor... The freedom I have in my work makes up for the low pay. If my last lesson ends at 2pm, I can go home then, without anyone asking questions. As long as the students get their lessons, and I prepare enough and grade exams properly, no one asks when or where I do it! That freedom is worth a lot! :)

If BCGray's thread didn't enlighten you, try google, altavista, yahoo or any other search engine... ;)

15. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Congrats on the new job, Solange. Personal happiness and relative freedom do go a long way to increasing one's quality of life. Getting along with others you work with, and being actually appreciates is definitely another +++. :)

16. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

Congrats, my niece went to a Waldorf school, think they are wonderful.

17. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Congrats! if you enjoy your job you'll never have to work:)

18. Solange

Solange Sergeant Major

Ty! :)

Hehehe for some reason it never feels quite like that! :D Only almost! :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds