cpu and gaming

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zombes, Aug 8, 2006.

1. zombes

zombes Private E-2

This is my current set up:
    cpu: amd 3200 venice
    video card: xfx 7900 gt
    sound card: soundblaster 2zs
    ram: 2 gig of Corsair
    mobo: dfi lanparty nf4 ultra-d

I'm thinking about upgrading my processor to an AMD 4200 dual core. My question is would this make a noticable difference when it comes to online gaming. Say for a game like counterstrike source or even newer fps titles?

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

I'm not sure you would see a benefit for Counterstrike, as your current specs should run that without much trouble. As for newer FPS', you might see a little performance boost, but I couldn't say how much as you have the RAM and video card to run most pretty well. Also, you should note that having a dual core processor vs a single core will not give you ANY benefits, as not too many games are coded to take advantage of the second core. For gaming purposes, you might save yourself some money (and possibly get more performance) by getting a faster single core processor.

3. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Your cpu is bottlenecking your system you would see a fps improvement in all games,my a64 3500 OC'd to 2.6 on a full 32 player map in CODUO starts to struggle with everything on max when the action gets thick

An article from Guru3d that has now been removed from the archive as far as I can see shows that even a 6800 ultra can make use of an a64 4000,your 7900gt would really make use of the extra speed

found it

http://www.guru3d.com/article/article/136/

Last edited: Aug 9, 2006

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds