No Icons on Desktop

Discussion in 'Software' started by amhiser, Nov 3, 2007.

1. amhiser

amhiser Private E-2

I have completely messed up my daughter's system. Installed a new video card. Couldn't get the views correct on the desktop so I hooked the monitor back up to the old video card. Have played around with the desktop views overextensively trying to get the views correct.

At the moment, am hooked up to her old "monitor" slot. Start menu is on the bottom but whenever I try to open anything, such as the control panel or any program it opens off screen and to the left. Can't change any of the fonts back or can't do a system restore because as soon as the "program" opens it opens off screen.

OMG, daughter is sharing hubby's computer so now Mom is in the doghouse. Needing your help to restore my place in the family:)

PS tried to start in safe mode and the monitor doesn't come on until windows is completely booted up so all I can see if a black screen.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

If you can get to your device manager, try removing the video driver and rebooting. Windows will boot with a 'generic' video driver and should give you the option of re-installing the driver for the video card. Or you can try a safe re-install of Windows from the CD.

3. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Administrator Staff Member

Another quick thought - right click on the desktop. Go to properties then settings and turn down your resolution.

Also, verify that you are not - for some odd reason - set to run dual monitors.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds