How do I disable MS firewall?

Discussion in 'Software' started by pansygirl, Feb 6, 2005.

1. pansygirl

pansygirl Private E-2

Hi:

I have WinXp SP-1, and NIS. I have noticed that there is a conflict between the MS firewall and NIS firewall. I cannot access the internet if both are running. Since I don't know how to turn off the MS Firewall, I have NIS firewall disabled for the time being. Could someone please provide instructions for disabling MS firewall, so I can enable the NIS one. I trust it much more!

Thanks,
    Linda aka pansygirl

2. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

3. pansygirl

pansygirl Private E-2

Thanks, but in trying this, I got this error. I have a feeling I've got a bigger problem than I thought. And I don't know if I have a system restore point. I can't remember if I did one. I will Check. What do you think about this error? Am I trying the wrong thing?

Thanks,
    Linda

Attached Files:

4. pansygirl

pansygirl Private E-2

Hi Icon:

Nope, no icon. I don't know where else to look, but I really want to be rid of MS firewall. ARGH :mad:

Thanks,
    Linda

5. Texan

Texan Private First Class

Sounds like a stinker. A family member of mine uses Black Ice. That program does not have that feature either. I use Zone Alarm and I can right click and shut it down or "stop all internet activity" Not sure which firewall is the best but I think that option is a must!

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

A couple things.

The red shield is only there when something is not running in the security center.

You can turn it off in the security center settings, however.

As for turning off the XP firewall, there are several ways.

1. From security center in control panel.
    2. From the place you were looking at in your screenshot. Chances are, your windows management instrumentation services are not running.

Go to start, run, and type services.msc. Look through the list. I wouldn't be in the least bit surpised if you find Windows Management Instrumentaion disabled.

7. pansygirl

pansygirl Private E-2

I checked it as recommended and some of the settings were set to manual, but otherwise, I saw nothing that I recognized as out of the ordinary. Nonetheless, it does appear that Windows Management Instrumentaion is messed up and I don't know how to fix it either. I still have the same message and am still unable to disable Miscrosoft's Firewall. Any other suggestions?

Linda :rolleyes:

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Windows Management Instrumentation should be set to automatic, not manual.

In addition, make sure you start it the first time.

9. pansygirl

pansygirl Private E-2

Yes, I did that as soon as I saw it on manual. I also re-booted and still have the same problem. I get the same WMI error as the screen shot below shows. I also still cannot disable the MS Firewall.

Thanks,
    Linda

Last edited: Feb 8, 2005

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds