Wanting to Buy and need a recomendation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CubsnCards, Feb 9, 2005.

1. CubsnCards

CubsnCards Private First Class

I am thinking about purchasing a wireless router for my laptop here are some specifics the best that I know them. Please suggest a product or how to go about checking further on my computer/Isp to know what would be best for me. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Dell 1150 2.6 Celeron Windows XP sp2
    Mozilla
    ISP is Insight Broadband
    right now I am getting 100mpbs and would like to keep it as close to this as possible.

Printer is a s250 cannon I only view it as a bonus if this is enabled not sure if it is compatible to wireless capability it was just given to me and haven't even used it yet.

Thanks again for your help let me know if any other info is helpful. :D

2. SneakyPanda

SneakyPanda Private E-2

with most wireless i think 11mbps is as fast as it goes. sorry but im not too sure on that.

3. help

help Corporal

go with any linksys 802.11g router,
    NEVER buy a dlink router, they suck :rolleyes:

4. ktiz

ktiz Corporal

True dat

5. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

Netgear WGT624 108Mbps wireless g... but you have to have a compatible 108Mbps card or else you're just at 54MBps like standard wireless g.

i have it and love it, a lot more and better features than linksys, including MAC address blocking (so only your allowed computers can even associate with the router.

6. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

7. CubsnCards

how do I know or find out what my card is compatible too.
    Thanks for the advice!

8. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

if you have a normal card or integrated wireless in the laptop, its likely Wireless G. (it should say on the card, 802.11g for g or 802.11b if it is wireless b)

if it's g, i wouldnt bother upgrading it, as 54Mbps is plenty fast, and you wont notice a difference with a 108Mbps card unless you are doing an extended file transfer of many GB over your network. for internet, even wireless B is just fine.

if you happen to have a wireless B card, upgrade to G only if you do a lot of network swapping.

eitehr way, that router is a great one, and pretty cheap with that rebate.

9. CubsnCards

ok thanks very much just ordered from Newegg looked like a great deal compared to others i've seen.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds