Explorer.exe app error/winlogon.exe error

Discussion in 'Software' started by ndnprincesss, Aug 14, 2006.

1. ndnprincesss

ndnprincesss Private E-2

Gee I haven't had to come here in a long time. So plz be patient :) I'm using windows XP home - with SP2 - Pentium 4 CPU 2.66GGHz, 002 MB of RAM. 200-300 Gig in 2 SATA drives. I think I should mention that about 3 months ago I had pc problems (had to replace motherboard) and took it to a new pc guy. Since I know zip he got me to agree to 64 bit processor and windows 64? I HATED it, and made him change everything back to 32. That may not mean anything....anyway here's the problem...

This happens randomly... When I turn on my pc I get error messages. I've written down the last 3,

On top blue bar of error window:
    Explorer.EXE Application Error
    Then:
    The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005).
    I had to power off manually.

Log on to Windows: winlogon.exe-Application Error
    Then:
    The instruction at "0x5c81ab0b" referenced memory at "0x5c81ab0b". The memory could not be "read"
    OK to terminate or cancel to debug.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\COMMAND.com
    Then:
    The parameter is incorrect.

I don't know anything about the debug, but I've tried every option. I still end up turning pc off manually.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions......~Jena

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Could be ram ....run memtest and also download everest ...(don't have the links on me...but they are on MG's).
    Will get back to you.:)

The error 0xC0000005 is generated by an illegal "memory access violation". This can be caused by anything from faulty RAM, an incorrect/corrupt device driver, poorly written/updated software and more commonly under Windows XP Service pack 2, malware/adware installations.
    http://majorgeeks.com/MemTest_d350.html

3. pari22

pari22 Corporal

Jena, one question. Did it ever work after the computer guy reinstalled 32bit?
    If not, you probably have HW/SW conflict or bad OS installation. Tell him to re-do it! and not charge you because it never worked.
    And just a note, 64bit XP should "Look" just like 32 bit for normal users. Why did you hate it so much???

4. ndnprincesss

ndnprincesss Private E-2

Thanks guys for your responses. pari - like I said this doesn't happen every time I turn on my pc so it's hard to recall, but I don't think it happened before the 32 bit was reinstalled. The ram I have now was put in Aug. of '05. And I know I never had these errors before the change to 64 bit. Yes the 64 looked the same, but several of my programs didn't work with it - Something in the tower was loud, the more time that passed the more the noise drove me nuts - There was heat down around my legs. My tower never put off heat like that before. The guy did come and "adjust" things a couple of times, then I just wanted it gone! I usually get on the pc to relax and unwind, and it just made me crazy after a while.

Tim - I ran both programs you mentioned, unfortunately my daughter beat me to the pc this morning and shut off the memtest so I'll give it another go tonight. I had no clue what I was doing with everest, I hope I got at least some info that will help. That report is attached. Just let me know if I goofed, I'm good at following directions. :)

Oh, another thing, the ram I have now was put in Aug. of '05. And I know I never had these errors before the change to 64 bit

If there's any other way to fix this, other than reinstalling windows, I'll do it. I've gone through that 3 times this year, it takes sooo long to get everything back where it belongs. errrr Also, will this error thing cause any problems besides the hassle of restarting my pc?

~Jena

5. ndnprincesss

ndnprincesss Private E-2

6. ndnprincesss

ndnprincesss Private E-2

Ok...now I've run the memtest. I left it running for about 6 hrs. Where it said to enter the megabytes of ram to test, I just left in what was there "All unused RAM" It was still running and when I stopped it this is what it said:
    6877.5% Coverage, 0 Errors.
    ~Jena

7. ndnprincesss

ndnprincesss Private E-2

Just bumping this up and I wanted to add that now it is rare that I don't get this error:
    The instruction at "0x5c81ab0b" referenced memory at "0x5c81ab0b". The memory could not be "read"
    OK to terminate or cancel to debug.

Any ideas?

~Jena

8. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Hi Jena,

The first thing I would do is rule out any kind of malware. That way you know you are at least troubleshooting on a clean system. I would go thru the steps in the link and see what you find and if it solves anything. :)

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

Steve

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds