COnnect to Wireless router but not internet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kbd627, Feb 25, 2007.

1. kbd627

kbd627 Private E-2

Have an IBM thinkpad and a netgear wgr614 wireless router and 511v2 card. CPU connects fine to internet when wired to router. When plug is pulled and card inserted cpu connects to router but does not connect to internet. This machine is a friend's. I put his card in my laptop (xp pro) and it connected to the router and internet just fine. It's been years since I've dealt with win98, but obviousely the problem is in win 98. Can anyone help me? I'm sure there is a setting I'm missing or a file I need to download. Thanks

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

I doubt that it is connection to the Router; it probably just sees the signal.

Win98 (unlike WinXP) does not have embedded Wireless capability; you have to use the Card's Win98 software to set it to be compatible with the Router.

3. pa1ndru1d

pa1ndru1d Private E-2

Sometimes, the modem and router needs to be reset. Unplug both for 60 seconds (or so) and plug them back in.

4. kbd627

kbd627 Private E-2

I believe it connects. Wireless networks in range come up (mine and neighbors) I click connect to mine and it says it is connected.
    Thanks for the reply.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds