Computer inexplicably shuts off while playing games

Discussion in 'Software' started by baldwinboy3, May 25, 2008.

1. baldwinboy3

baldwinboy3 Private E-2

My costum built PC shuts off, but only when playing AoC (age of conan online). Sometimes I can play for hours and sometimes 5 minutes. I have no other games to try and play to test out if its just AoC. My system is as follows:

Asus An832 SLI Deluxe

Windows Xp 64 SP2

Creative Sound Blaster X Fi Fatality

Corsair 3500LL PRO (4 gigs)

AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 4400 +

Ultra Finity 600 W PSU

Viewsonic VG2230wm 22" Monitor.

Evga 8800 GTS vid Cards in SLI

WD Raptor HD

Creative Inspire 5.1 surround sound speakers

Plextor DvD burner

I just upgrade from windows media center to accomdate my new ram (added two gig sticks of exact ram that i had in it). Also upgraded from 7800 gts vid cards to the 8800s. and the monitor and speakers are new as well. My pc has 4 fans not counting the ones in the processor and vid cards. I updated every driver in the pc and bios. I think after i added the speakers (but not 100% sure) the problem of power shutting off when playing games. I also sometimes while playing games get no sound or sound feedback. its random. sometimes it is there sometimes its not. Same with the power shutting off. this morning i played 2 hours no shut down. and just now i played 5 min and it shut off. I appericate the help if anyone can help.

Thanks,

baldwinboy3

2. dracdoc

dracdoc Private E-2

First thing to do is go to control panel
    then administrative tools
    from there double click on event viewer
    then double click on system

When your computer shuts off, immedietly after you reboot, go there and find out why it shut off.

Personally I am thinking its a heat issue with your video card like it was mine, but you first have to find out why it shut off. There will probably be some warnings before hand etc. But see what it is first, then come back here.

3. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Yep have to agree most PC will have upper thresholds for heat and when these are reached will automatically shut down to preserve Hardware. Don't change these settings.

Can you please DL and install EVEREST (link is above) and post your idle system temps. Then possibly play AoC for 5 mins hit Alt-Tab or (Windows key) and assess temps again with game running and post back this will give us an idea of your system temps. Staright after the system "crashes" you can go directly into BIOS and look at your CPU temps in there as well please do that next time the system shuts down.

4. baldwinboy3

baldwinboy3 Private E-2

i recieved in event viewer error 1000 and 10016 and i went to microsoft website and tried to fix what they suggest but what they had me check for was not there. i am about to install everest thing and post my temps. thanks for help again.

5. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

6. baldwinboy3

baldwinboy3 Private E-2

I installed some software asus provided that is for monitoring your PC. According to it my PSU power was not enough and my CPU fan was starting to go out causeing it to overheat. With the combo of both these issues it was hard for me to pinpoint the problem without that software. Thanks for all the help of those who read and replied to this issued.

Thanks,

baldwinboy3

7. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Hum so are you getting a new PSU....would also seriously consider a decent after market Heatsink. Have some links if you want.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds