Scratched motherboard??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mus1paa, Oct 31, 2004.

1. mus1paa

mus1paa Private E-2

Hello!
    Whilst installing a watercooling system in my computer i scraped a clip for the heatsink accross the motherboard. After I'd finished paniking and had reassembled my computer, I turned it on expecting the worst. It started up fine and appeared to be working ok.
    HOwever, every now-and-again, xp's blue screen of death apears telling me "dirver irq not less or equal" or "page fault in nonpaged area". It specifies a different address each time. Nothing has changed apart from rearranging pci devices so I thought it might be that. Trouble is, it still happens when they are all disabled.

Is it likely that the scratch is causing this or is it something else? Would be handy to know before i attack my mobo with conductive paint! :)

Cheers,
    Pete

2. mudshot

mudshot Private First Class

From experience I would say it is your memory overheating or not seated right or in the wrong slots.

If you have 2 sticks try taking one out at a time and see what happens

3. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

I agree. I scratched my mobo once. Was scary, but it turned out ok. It all depends on how deep the scratch is.

Watercooling suggests you might be overclocking, so have you tried easing off? The most frequent cause of that for me is the memory not being able to take the FSB. Also, since there is water cooling, make sure you have good airflow through the case, or the memory will overheat. Even though you've got watercooling, you still need fans in there.

And PCI slots, you need to take them out all together to make any difference.

4. mus1paa

mus1paa Private E-2

I'm not overclocking it at the moment and was just trying to quieten the thing down. I've got the cover off at the moment so i think the temperature is ok for the memory although the chipset runs very hot. I've got all the pci devices out.

Thanks guys!

5. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Even if the cover is off you need to have some airflow, or it will just sit there heating up the air around it. Try pointing a desk fan at it.

6. mus1paa

mus1paa Private E-2

Thanks guys. Put my old cpu fan over the ram and all problems gone! :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds