3726 Hub . . . a fresh start

Discussion in 'Software' started by Denise_M, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

In order to see if there is still a way to get the SATA hub to work, I decided to follow these instructions (I put the words in bold):

I clicked on Run > cmd
    At the prompt, I typed 3726FwDownload.exe <Mode> <Device> <FW Filename>

I received a message: < was unexpected at this time

Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

2. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Does anyone have an idea about what's going on? A passing thought?

3. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

In this case, the "< >" is telling you what to type in that spot.
    Therefore what you should type in at the command prompt would be:
    3726FwDownload.exe -i
    This should give you your Display Chip revision and EEPROM FW version
    or
    3726FwDownload.exe -w
    This should download the firmware for your device
    or
    3726FwDownload.exe -d (followed by the name of the firmware file you need - if you know what it is)
    should download a particular firmware file. It must be in .bin format.
    ie: filename.bin

4. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Thanks so much . . . I feel like a dummy :-D . . . but I'm learning. ;)
    And there is sooo much to learn.

5. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

As Joni Mitchell put it in her song "Woodstock":
    "Life is for learning"
    Learning is one of the most important reasons I like this place.
    Learn something (usually many things) every time I visit.

6. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

I tried installing the firmware using the instructions but it didn't work. Maybe you can let me know what I was doing wrong. Some of the cmds contained typos so those aren't considered.

I've attached a screenshot of the commands that I used and a screenshot of the contents of the 3726FwDownload.zip file that I'm working with.

Any idea about what went wrong?

Attached Files:

7. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

From your second screenshot I see you have the file on your A drive (floppy)
    at your command prompt type "a:" (without the quotation marks) and hit your enter key
    You should now see an a prompt ( a:\> )
    then type "3726FwDownload.exe 3726_1.0114.bin" (again without the quotes) and hit enter.

8. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

God, I feel more stupid everytime I come here. lmao! I think my brain's turned to mush.

9. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

It wouldn't work. I received a message from Microsoft that said that it had encountered a problem and must close. I also tried it with the < > but it didn't work either. :confused

Attached Files:

10. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

I unzipped the folder again to a fresh floppy and I received an immediate response. Microsoft didn't get involved at all.

Attached Files:

11. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

Although it usually doesn't shed a lot of light (to me, at least), I'd be interested in what the error report says.
    It would appear that you entered everything correctly.

12. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

I've tried it a few times and I don't receive the Microsoft message any longer, just the one that says 'not recognized as an internal or external command' right in the dos box.

Maybe a little background info would help more.

I have SATA XP Pro x64, 3124 chipset. The hub is a 3726. Even though the hardware isn't compatible with 3726, the hub is supposed to work when the firmware is installed. Right now, I have firmware installed only for my controller card:

SATA Controller Card 3124 x64 1.1.130 logo
    SiI 3124 32-bit Windows BASE Driver (1.3.20.0)
    SiI 3124 x86 1.3.20.0_logo
    SiI 3132 x86 bios v7223

These files were the ones that were given me when I punched in my computer's info at Silicon's website. The controller card works with no problems.

When I connect the hub to the controller card, a green led is supposed to turn on which shows that the hub is operational. What it does, though, is freeze my computer until I disconnect it.

I'll download a fresh copy of 3726FwDownload to see if the Microsoft message appears again.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  13. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

A new copy of 3726FwDownload didn't give me the Microsoft message again. Instead, I received a number of messages when trying to run the commands. I've attached part 1 and part 2. Each time I try to do this, I get different messages.

Attached Files:

14. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

This is interesting . . .

I was reading up on the 3124 drivers. At the Silicon website, it mentioned to download the SiI 3132 32 & 64-bit Windows SATARAID5 Management Utility. I downloaded and installed it. It left an icon on my desktop. When I double-clicked on it, I received a message that said:

I have SiI 3124 SATARAID5 Windows Driver X64 v1.5.11.0 installed in my computer. It's listed in Device Manager.

15. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

At this point, I think the best thing I can do would be to uninstall most of the drivers/firmware that I installed and install only the necessary ones. I kept adding drivers and firmware to get the hub to work.

The first reason is because I installed too many in order to get the hub working, which isn't going to happen.

The second reason is because Silicon Image Controller isn't recognizing any of the drivers/firmware/BIOS updates that I installed or installed incorrectly.

None of the drivers/firmware are listed in Add/Remove Programs. Can I just delete the folders from 'Programs x86'?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds