I.E. Error Message

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ace McCool, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Ace McCool

Ace McCool Private E-2

Since the latest update to I.E just a few days ago, my browser has been experiencing problems. It was running fine until the automatic updates from Microsoft screwed things up.:mad: On certain sites it works fine, yet in others it will shutdown with an error message that says "Microsoft has encountered a problem and needs to close", and of course it has the report error button and all that. When you ask about the error Microsofts page says there is no known fix for this problem. I believe there must have been a bug in the last upgrade and given Microsofts penchant to take months to get a fix out if you can find it at all, I am coming here for some help or advice. This problem can happen when accessing a site for the first time or when trying to use your Back button. Sometimes a site will work then choose to not work at random so I believe it has nothing to do with the sites in question.
    I have run all the steps for virus and spyware before posting this thread and all reports are clean. So any others with this issue out there??:confused:

I am running Win 2000 SP4, Pentium 4, 512ram.

Very annoying problem when trying to do research or just even read the news on-line. Luckly no issues accessing the MajorGeeks site so far.
    Any ideas for a fix to this bug??:eek:

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

Looking into it.

It appears that the only issue arises if one is browsing a site that requires version 1.1 of HTTP alongside compression.

Edit 1:
    To fix (a.k.a. workaround):

1.Start Internet Explorer 6
    2.On the Tools menu, click Internet Options, and then click the Advanced tab.
    3.In the Settings box, click to clear the Use HTTP 1.1 check box under HTTP 1.1 settings, and then click OK.

Another thing to do is wait for the official patch to the patch on August 22. :(

3. Ace McCool

Ace McCool Private E-2

Thanks for that workaround. It does appear to take care of the problem for now. I have hit the sites I was having issue with and no error messages this time. Hopefully all will be well until the next patch.:eek:
    I am greatful for your help on this one, thank you very much.
    Cannot figure out how you find these great answers for such strange computer behaviors. And the way Microsoft has been going with bad updates and patches needing patches.......:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    Maybe they need to fire the staff and bring in the Geeks to get it all right!! :D
    Thank you again...MajorGeeks!!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds