PC shuts off randomly!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Baglefighter, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Baglefighter

Baglefighter Private E-2

Hello,

I'm having a weird issue.

My PC just shuts off randomly.

I've looked at this post: post

But it seem my issue is a bit different.

It all start when I was playing a game (which was working perfectly before).

My computer suddenly shut down, a second later it turned back on (didn't have to press the power button).

I thought it might have been a one time thing, so I tried running the game again, but nope, it shuts down again.

So I decided to try running a different game, still shuts down.

Other then playing games, the PC was working fine.

So naturally I thought its an issue with my GPU.

So I called my friend who brought me a new card (was not used before) that was also better then my old one.

So we installed it (including latest drivers and all), Then we tried running a game, and still the PC went down.

The PC also started to shut down on much more random occasions (playing a video, surfing the web, etc).

Another thing I checked was Temp of both CPU and GPU, both are good (not passing the 60 on both).

My computer is a bit old (around 4 years I believe).

So I'm lost with this, any help will be appreciated.

Here is some info on my system:

Processor: Intel Core i5 650 @ 3.20GHz
    64-bit
    Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560
    PSU: Naxn 750w
    motherboard: not sure of the model, but its an intel one.

If you need any more details, just ask.

Thank you!

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

A shutdown without warning is often a power supply issue, the problem is the whole machine usually turns off and doesn't turn on again.

You've ruled out your video card, run this to test your cpu is stable under load-

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/intelburntest.html

Monitor your temperatures while running the stress test and post your maximum under load, choose all memory and maximum stress, if the test completes your cpu is 'very' stable, post your gflop score.

Before you run any tests blow out your power supply with canned air or a compressor and check all other fans are clean and spinning.

3. Baglefighter

Baglefighter Private E-2

Ok, let me start by telling you what other tests I did before running "IntelBurnTest".

I decided to check for a possible memory stick failure.

So I pulled one memory stick out, still shuts down.

Pulled out the other one, seemed to be working fine (didn't run any high-end games, but was working a couple of hours of normal use/low-end games).

So I figured It's probably that memory stick.

So I took one of my brothers memory sticks and plugged it instead of the one I took out.

I tried running a high-end game, boom, shut-down.

So I thought it might be the memory slot of the mother board.

Switched my brother's memory stick to a different slot, run high-end game, still shuts down.

So now to the part where I run "IntelBurnTest".

I ran it on the default settings:

Mode: 64-bit
    Stress Level: Standard
    Times to run: 10
    Threads: All

Here is the log output:

The reason I stopped it was because my temperature display(windows 7 widget) started beeping (over 80).

I'm a bit scared of over heating my stuff, I don't want to end up buying a new CPU.

Any other ideas?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  4. Rikky

I suspected CPU due to the nature of the shutdown and you have a very high cpu temperature.

You only ran for 2 mins and were up to 80C which is too high, I suggest you double check your fan is spinning up to full speed under load, check the heat sink firmly attached to the cpu, check the mounting mechanism is tightened fully as my money is on that being the problem.

Do you have good case airflow? If you've checked everything take the side of the case off and let it cool down,leave the side off then run the test again if you have a small desk fan to blow into the side it can also keep it cool, if it climbs straight to 80C stop the test there's still something wrong.

If everything is working correctly your computer should complete that test, if it's unstable the test will show errors and stop, if you left the test running I'm pretty confident it would shutdown which is a safety feature.

5. Baglefighter

Baglefighter Private E-2

I've done all this tests with case's side open.

The sink is firmly attached (Iv'e also put in new thermal paste recently).

The CPU doesn't climb straight to 80c instantly.

I think the first run end with it at about 65c and in the second test it get to 80c but it takes a few seconds.

6. Baglefighter

Baglefighter Private E-2

I've not looked at the fan during the test, I will run test again and see if it acts up.

If it doesn't increasing it's speed, is there some bios settings or something I need to change?

7. Rikky

No not unless there's a problem with your motherboard and a specific setting, the fan speed control will automatically spin the fan at full speed once the temperature becomes too high, any other settings slow the fan only when the cpu isn't at 100% to keep the computer quiet.

You will know if the fan is at full speed it will sound almost like a hairdryer, with the side of the case off start a benchmark or stress test and listen for the fan spinning up as the temperature goes up. You can also check this by connecting the cpu fan to a system fan connector so it's constantly getting 12v or any 12V power source and listen to the sound difference, check your cpu temperature to see if it's lower.

Use a different temperature monitoring program to double check your not getting a false reading-

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/speedfan.html

This test is a little less stressful since you suspect over heating, about 5-10C less stressful than intel burn, select small FPU to test mainly the cpu.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/prime95.html

EDIT The cpu temp will rise quickly as yours did then over the next 5-15mins it will rise another 5-20C.

One bios setting you can check is your cpu voltage, just check the voltage and post it:)

8. Rikky

I noticed you had Intel burn set to standard, if set to maximum it can add another 5-10C to your temperature so that's another clue threre's a problem with your cooling.

Do you live in a hot country BTW? You know your rough room or house temperature?

9. Baglefighter

Baglefighter Private E-2

After settings back the original memory sticks and setting a nice big fan (not desk fan but still a big one) pointing directly at the CPU, I Got this results:

This time, the CPU got to 80c only for a few seconds and then kinda rested at 79c.

Until the third test started.

At that point it got to 85c and then I stopped it.

The fan noise does not change at any point during the test (did not put my ear to it, but it stayed silence just like in normal use).

Using "speedfan", I saw that the fan speed isn't really changing.

I'm gonna run another test with an actual desk fan and see if it help.

10. Rikky

Post your motherboard model and revision:)

And again it's way too high, you could easily hit cpu thermal shutdown after a short gaming session, stop using intel burn.

You don't want to keep running these tests to try and improve things, just once to run the tests I've posted to find the problem.

It's best if you re-read the entirety of my post's then work through the test's methodically:)

11. Baglefighter

Baglefighter Private E-2

Ran the test again with a desk fan.

(forgot to Output results to log, to ill right it down manually)

43.794 20.4111 3.375460e-002
    44.484 20.0946 3.375460e-002
    44.129 20.2561 3.375460e-002
    44.142 20.2502 3.375460e-002

This time it got only to 82c during the third test, so I decided to let it run more.

At test 5 it got to 87c, so it turned it off.

This time, it seems the fan did run faster, but that might be the desk fan giving it a boost.

I do live in a hot country, but I have never had this issue before and the warm days are actually nearly over, and I usually run my pc only in the evening anyways.

Where can I see my motherboard model and revision?

12. Rikky

It should be written on the motherboard, if you can't find it run this and create a report, you can post it if you wish but if you do save it as a text file and attach as an attachment it's against forum policy to copy and paste logs into posts.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/hwinfo32.html

13. Baglefighter

Baglefighter Private E-2

Attached full system log

Attached Files:

• log.LOG
      File size:
      99.8 KB
      Views:
  14. Rikky

Your motherboard is an intel DP55WB, your current bios is WBIBX10J.86A.0165.2009.1110.1916

The bios version is the digits I've highlighted, the latest version is 0366, I've checked the release notes for all released bios's and I can't see any fix for fan speed, if that is the problem.

You can check them yourself here click download next to each bios then read the release notes.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Se...ds&ProductProduct=IntelĀ®+Desktop+Board+DP55WB

It's getting a little ahead though we don't know if the fan is running slow yet.

15. Baglefighter

Baglefighter Private E-2

Well, regardless if its a fan issue, I'll update my BIOS :)

16. Baglefighter

Baglefighter Private E-2

I've also checked the voltage:

Processor core : dynamic
    Memory: 1.5v
    Processor uncore: 1.1v

17. Rikky

No don't update your bios you haven't identified the problem yet, you also haven't fully identified your motherboard you really need to visually find the model and revision number,on Intel boards it's usually written in the middle of the board under the Intel logo.

I posted the bios information I'd read for reference.

18. Baglefighter

Baglefighter Private E-2

I think its hidden under the GPU.

But using "System Information" I can see System Model: WBIBX10J

19. Baglefighter

Baglefighter Private E-2

OK, I looked at the entire mother board, and theses are the numbers I could find:

In the middle of the board left to the Intel logo: D33025
    On the left edge (same height as the Intel logo): E120882
    On top left - 3 barcode stickers:
    DP55WB
    00270E150E60
    (didn't right down the last one, very long with "-" in it)

20. Baglefighter

Baglefighter Private E-2

OK, this seems to have been fixed.

I replaced my PSU with a new one and haven't had any problems for about 2 days (playing games and all).

My GPU does get heat up when trying to play high end games, which seems a bit weird to me.

But other then that, everything seems to work fine.

21. Rikky

Doesn't explain the high cpu temperature readings or the cpu fan not speeding up.

I guess a newer power supply with a more powerful fan could have kept the system cooler and hence the cpu or the reading is completely erroneous and it was the power supply:confused

But if you happy it's a win I suppose:)

22. Baglefighter

Baglefighter Private E-2

It didn't solve the heating of the CPU (it still gets hot occasionally).

It only solved the shutdowns (which I guess were not temperature related).

The PSU I have now is actually vary weak (450W) but its only temporary until I get a new 750W back (should be a day or two).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds