Please help, I am new to this!!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by dreadhead, Aug 1, 2007.

1. dreadhead

dreadhead Private E-2

Hi to all, i would greatly apreciate any advice anyone gives. I am new to computers, but want to learn software, hardware and languages. Where is a good place to start to learn. I am leaning more as to learning software and languages to eventually write programs. I am on a pc and not mac, please help.

2. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

What are your resources? Are you going to school, or planning on it?

School isn't necessary of course, but it does help. So you then have to ask yourself, what am I most likely going to use this for?

If it is for the internet then you will need to start with HTML, which isn't quite a language, but will give you the basics in programming text to appear the way you want it to. From there you can go several different routes, such as perl, java, java script (totally different than Java), or some package that will set up a home page for such as Front Page.

I don't have any training in the above, since my college days were spent learning languages such as Fortran and BASIC, both are general purpose languages useful for writing programs to help with calculations and whatnot.

Nowdays the high level languages (that have nothing to do with internet) as C, C++, C#, and other stuff that would help you write games or high level utilities. These basically have replaced BASIC and Fortran.

There are other odd ducks the government uses such as Cobol, which I would recommend against unless you are planning on writing for a specific customer.

Define your use, then use that to set your curiculam. There are some very good home learning CD software that will get you down the road, but self motivation is alway the most important thing.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds