Windows 7 won't boot or repair or go into safe mode

Discussion in 'Software' started by msidea, Jul 31, 2012.

1. msidea

msidea Private First Class

I'm working on a friend's computer trying to do her a favor. The computer won't boot. The message I get is:

Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically.

Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
    Problem signature 05 AutoFailover
    Problem signature 07 Corruptfile

There are also problem signatures 1-4, and 6. I can provide those, but they are a series of numbers.

I did bootrec fixmbr and bootrec fixboot as I saw recommended on a web site, but I'm having no success.

Help is greatly appreciated. :yum

2. DELL_deepa

DELL_deepa Private E-2

Sorry for the post

3. DELL_deepa

DELL_deepa Private E-2

Hi,

My name is Deepa and I work for the Social Media and Community Team at Dell. Please try to run the hardware diagnostics. Please try to unplug all the USB devices from your system and then try to turn on your system. You can try one more step to boot your system and go into BIOS SET UP and check if the hard drive is getting detected or not.

In order to help you better please reply with the model number.

Please ignore the above reply which was by mistake.

Thanks and Regards
    Dell_Deepa_R
    Dell Social Media Responder

4. msidea

Thanks Deepa, for trying to help!

I can't get into Windows so I can't access the Start menu. Is there a different way to get to hardware diagnostics?

The computer is a Dell Inspiron N7010. It's a little over a year old.

Thanks again!

5. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

You don't start Windows to run the startup diagnostics.

Press F12 just when you see the Dell logo, then run the Dell diagnostics.

Another option is to hold the Ctrl key down when you power on the machine; this will start the built-in self-test.

6. msidea

Thank you for the information! I'm not familiar with Windows 7 at all so was unaware of the F12 function, only with F8.

I ran the hardware diagnostics, and all tests were passed. I'm running the Memory ones just for good measure.

I'm guessing that my only choice at this point is a complete reinstall which would wipe all the information on the hard drive. So I'm wondering: I have a CD of Windows XP. If I install that in addition to Windows 7, would I be able to access all the information on the hard drive? I would think so, but I'm not a techie. :major Or is my best bet to have the information extracted by placing the drive in another computer?

I'd appreciate any advice.

7. msidea

PS Since I'm in that menu, I have continued to run diagnostics of anything that seemed relevant. The last one was Symptom Diagnostics where I chose the "Cannot boot the OS" option. No errors were found there either. :(

8. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi,

Since the error is corrupt file get back to that screen where it tells you it can't fix the error and gives you the option to view problem details. Then you should have some option to use Advanced Tools or if you just have two buttons "Drivers" and "Next" hit the next button. You should get a screen with 5 options, Choose Command Prompt. Run the two following commands to try to repair the corruption. Then restart and see if you get the same error.

chkdsk c: /r
    chkdsk d: /r

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds