Security Software

Discussion in 'Software' started by anon_private, Apr 8, 2014.

1. anon_private

anon_private Private First Class

Hi,

I use Avira Free to protect my system. I was wondering if this programme is sufficent to protect my system, or if I should install Malwarebytes or Superantispyware as well.

Opinions please.

Thanks

A

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Avira is a good Antivirus. You should also use an AntiMalware program such as SuperAntispyware (which is not free) to run along side your Avira.

3. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Hi my friend , another vote about avira , it's good antivirus programme , i am using also this tool

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/junkware_removal_tool.html

even this one

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/roguekiller.html

but everything depends about the safe use which you can using the web is my opinion , another helpful tool is an antivirus cd like this

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/kaspersky_rescue_disk.html

burning it with it

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/imgburn.html

checking your machine :wave

4. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

anon_private...

MBAM and SAS are good programs to have around for sure.

I am growing more attached to PrivateFirewall every day. Installed it 4 months ago. If you are becoming more interested in identity protection and data security, PF has added some peace of mind to my life.

PF only uses 8 MB of space compared to Comodo's 200 or whatever MB, and it has all the tweaks required to protect specifically against keystroke logging, malicious screenshotting, and unauthorized clipboard logging. These are the main ways information is stolen.

If you ever decide to use PF, it's a simple interface thank goodness. The settings for each process, however, are a little bit tricky. Not that PF misleads, it's just that I had to really think through over the period of a few weeks what each setting is for each process (you get three choices for each process). This is similar to any other firewall, but you can use this to make sure that the processes on your PC do not record keystrokes and so on and do it fairly simply with PF. The first month or so is a fairly constant barrage of pop ups and decisions, but that's normal from a firewall. They all require a firm knowledge from a user of what's supposed to be on their machine. PF does a good job of describing each process for the decision making process, though, which helps.

PF scored 88% on the Matousec tests here:

http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge-64/results.php

I think the best security against OS corruption is disk imaging. Since I started using Paragon Backup and Recovery, I have gained the confidence of knowing that I am no more than 15 minutes from restoring a clean version of the OS, be it yesterday or a month ago or even an image from just after OS installation (if you start from scratch and make an imager one of your first programs). I like PB&R because it has a tool for burning the boot disk, which is used for the restoring images. Lots of peach of mind again.

5. anon_private

I believe that SAS does have a free addition.

6. anon_private

Thanks to all for responding.

I need to check and see in Avira (free version) checks for spyware. If not, SAS would be worth downloading.

Best wishes.

7. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

SAS scanning is free. To have active protection, you have to pay for it.

8. anon_private

I have just heard from the Avira board (Moderator level). I am told that Avira detects and cleans spyware and malware.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  9. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Yes, it does.

edit: Oops, I did not see:
    before I posted. But, to perhaps add a point of clarity, the free SAS scanning does, of course, allow the user to remove the objects found during the scan.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  10. anon_private

Thanks for responding.

Much as I expected.

The Avira board tells me that its free program included facilities for detecting/removing spyware/malware. So It looks like all I need is Avira.

Best wishes.

A

11. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

I recommend you add SpywareBlaster

It's also free and provides passive protection.

Tutorial video on the download page.

12. anon_private

If Avira checks and cleans (if necessary) spyware, why do I need another programme?

SAS vs SpywareBlaster?

Thanks

13. oma

oma MajorGeek

This is what SpywareBlaster is all about. http://www.brightfort.com/spywareblaster.html I wouldn't want to be surfing without it.

After having had free SAS for many years I uninstalled it because it never found anything. Your mileage may vary.

14. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

15. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

SAS flags up tracking cookies, which MBAM does not. If you regard them as malware then use it, but I uninstalled it quite some time ago after realising that was all it had ever found after running MBAM.

16. anon_private

I would appreciate an answer

17. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

It isn't black or white. The widely held view of antimalware programs is that no one program will catch everything so it's better to have two, providing they are not realtime programs which may conflict.

18. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

To add to what others have said...
    Avira, as well as Avast and AVG, are (free) anti-virus programs that are meant to be kept running
    and active at all times.

SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes antimalware are supplemental to anti-virus
    programs and can also be kept running as active protection, along with an antivirus program,
    in their 'Pro' paid versions, or used only as on demand scanners with their free versions.

SpywareBlaster gives a different type of protection usually referred to as 'passive protection'.
    It does not do any active scanning and does not need to be 'running' to be effective.

It's database should be updated periodically, once a week to once a month,
    and 'Enable All Protection' after the updates are downloaded.

Netizen Guide: Passive Protection

19. anon_private

I have the free version of Avira and have just downloaded Malwarebytes from MajorGeeks.

I get the impression from your post that these two programmes will not conflict.

As a matter of interest, does the download system from MajorGeeks download directly from Malwarebytes, that is it is a link to the Malwarebytes site?

Best Wishes.

A

20. anon_private

I have just installed Malwarebytes- the version from MajorGeeks.

I notice on the Dashboard under License Malwarebytes Ant-Malware Trial.

I wanted the free version, do I have it?

Will this version disable after a period?

Thanks

A

Ps Since I am running Avira would it be best to prevent Malwarebytes from starting with Windows?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  21. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

There should be no conflict between those two, but remember that you will not have real time
    active protection with Malwarebytes unless you pay the registration fee for the Pro version.
    Either way, free or paid, they will work together.

Malwarebytes forums: What antivirus product to use with Malwarebytes?

As far as I know, unless it is otherwise noted directly below the Download Locations heading
    on the MG download page, the software is downloaded from the Major Geeks servers.

Remember, Major Geeks is a safe download source. Everything has been tested for malware and you will
    get the authentic product.

Regarding the Trial, I can't say for sure.
    I ran through the preliminaries of the install process and did not see any choice for Trial vs Free.
    I already have the Pro version.
    If it is a trial, only the Pro features will disable when the trial period has expired.
    If you downloaded from the MG download page,
    then you have the correct version.

If it is a "Pro" trial and you want to try out those features, it's OK to allow Malwarebytes to start with Windows.

22. anon_private

Thank you for the detailed response.

I know that you said it is OK to start Malwarebytes with Windows at start-up (Avira installed), but if Malwarebytes does not monitor in real-time, is there an advantage to running from start-up?

Best wishes.

A

Ps. I noticed that the setup file (Malwarebytes) had an icon characterised with a computer and CD. Is this the icon that indicates that the Windows Installer will install the programme, rather that another installer, such as InstallShield?

23. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

If I recall correctly, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Trial version is the correct file to get the free version, even though that may seem odd. What will happen is that you will be prompted to decide whether to purchase the Pro version at the end of the trial period. If you choose not to pay for the Pro version, your installed version then continues to function as a free version. If you decided to pay for the Pro version, additional features would become available and active.

Edit: I did not see page 2 of the posts in this discussion when I posted this. So, I thought the last post before this one was the last one on page 1. Sorry about that.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  24. anon_private

Thank you for the information.

Best wishes

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds