Unnecessary Adobe programs or not?

Discussion in 'Software' started by On edge, Dec 16, 2007.

1. On edge

On edge Corporal

Here's what I have installed (a lot of it unwittingly) from Adobe. I've highlighted in bold the programs I actually use. I'd like to know if the rest are necessary support programs or crap I should uninstall:

Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Professional (for PDF printing)
    Adobe Anchor Service CS3
    Adobe Asset Services CS3
    Adobe Bridge CS3
    Adobe Bridge Start Meeting
    Adobe Camera Raw 4.0
    Adobe CMaps
    Adobe Default Language CS3
    Adobe Device Central CS3
    Adobe Dreamweaver CS3 (web page design)
    Adobe ExtendScript Toolkit 2
    Adobe Extension Manager CS3
    Adobe Flash Player ActiveX
    Adobe Flash Player Plugin
    Adobe Help Viewer CS3
    Adobe PDF Library Files
    Adobe Reader 8.1.0 (sometimes, but Foxit Reader is better)
    Adobe Setup
    Adobe SVG Viewer 3.0
    Adobe Type Support
    Adobe Update Manager CS3
    Adobe Version Cue CS3 Client

The rest came when I installed the programs I actually needed and some of the plugins may be things I picked up on the web. Anyway, which ones on the list should I delete?

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Depends if you actually use them? I'd just keep the bold ones you highlighted, and get rid of the rest except the flash plugins.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Out of your list I would say the following highlighted in Red are OK to remove, green keep as you use them or they may in the case of Adobe Flash, cause some websites to not function correctly, the black coloured one.. I have no clue what this one does.

Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Professional (for PDF printing)
    Adobe Anchor Service CS3
    Adobe Asset Services CS3 ( online training guides )
    Adobe Bridge CS3 ( is a media manager, which also has other components attached with it, http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/bridge/ blurb on this and if you dont use this for your webpage design then uninstall )
    Adobe Bridge Start Meeting
    Adobe Camera Raw 4.0 ( this depends on if you use RAW image format that comes off many digital cameras )
    Adobe CMaps
    Adobe Default Language CS3

Adobe Device Central CS3 ( is for developing for mobile devices )
    Adobe Dreamweaver CS3 (web page design)
    Adobe ExtendScript Toolkit 2
    Adobe Extension Manager CS3

Adobe Flash Player ActiveX
    Adobe Flash Player Plugin
    Adobe Help Viewer CS3
    Adobe PDF Library Files
    Adobe Reader 8.1.0 (sometimes, but Foxit Reader is better) ( but if you use Acrobat Pro and Foxit, this seems surplus )
    Adobe Setup
    Adobe SVG Viewer 3.0 ( is for Scaleable Vector Graphics, ont know if this is useful or not to you in Web design )
    Adobe Type Support
    Adobe Update Manager CS3
    Adobe Version Cue CS3 Client

4. anartist

anartist Private E-2

the one left in black "Adobe Anchor Service" is a pain-in-the-*** authenticity validator [sort of like Windows Genuine Advantage] that makes a lot of mistakes. Check out Adobe forum threads.
    If one runs afoul of it during a rebuild/reinstall one must run a lot of hoops including the Adobe chat room which refers one to the Adobe service center [not 24/7] which has at least a half-hour phone wait to reach a technician who may have to take over your screen [with your acquiescence] from a tinyurl site [typically tinyurl.com + st--service technician--technician name].
    :banghead:banghead:banghead

This tech will help you reinstall software by doing some voodoo while controlling your screen. Nice tech, very helpful, but all the crap to go through, plus the significant relinquishment of control of your own machine, makes me see open source as a more viable alternative than ever before.
    Open Office is very good. Adobe replacements seem much spottier. Comments?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  5. On edge

On edge Corporal

fwiw, here's the Adobe programs I currently have installed:

Adobe Acrobat X Pro
    [Free web browser addons:] Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX, Adobe Flash Player 10 Plugin, and Adobe Shockwave Player 11.5

I may install the current version of Adobe Dreamweaver at some point if I need it, but I think I can get by with smaller webpage deisgn programs, mainly KompoZer Portable, and I plan to try CoffeeCup's HTML Editor and their other tools, and WYSIWYG Web Builder.

I work with PDFs and Adobe Acrobat X Pro is the industry standard so I need it, but it's also bloated as hell (~2 GB installed). Foxit Phantom and PDF-XChange Pro give you almost all the same features at a fraction of the cost in disk space (~60 MB for the latter).

6. anartist

anartist Private E-2

:dood
    Thanks for the leads on KomPozer Portable, Foxit Pro, CoffeeCup and other alternatives.

I think my software is so bloated with stuff, including that damn validator, because I have always gotten the suites.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2011

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds