corrupt usb drivers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jkatriny, Jul 27, 2006.

1. jkatriny

jkatriny Private E-2

I am running xp pro on my computer and some how my usb drivers became corrupted. I tryed plugging in a regular ps2 mouse and keyboard just so I could log in to my computer but for some reason the mouse will work to get me to my profile icon on the start up screen but as soon as I try to use the keyboard to type in my password the mouse freezes and the keyboard does not work. I am able to sign on to the guest account because it does not require me to use the keyboard but I don't have security access to fix anything, I am able to view the device manager and there definatly is a problem but how do I fix it? Thank you Katie

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Did you install anything or is there anything particular you can remember doing just before your problems started,the easiest least technical way to get around it is to restart in safe mode tap F8 as your computer is turning on and select safe mode then restore your computer back to just before your problem started

This doesnt really get to the cause of the problem as it may be unrelated to the usb or ps2 drivers,do you use this computer online and if so are you using a firewall,antivirus and anti spyware protection,are you running service pack 2 and are the windows updates fully updated :confused:

3. jkatriny

jkatriny Private E-2

Yes everything is updated and I'm running Mcafee firewall and security pack. Starting in safe mode does not solve my problem because I still need to type in a password at the start up screen. The only thing I can remember doing is plugging in my usb cable into my printer but I never ended up using it.

4. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Hmmm I'm a little perplex as to how to tackle this one,could you explain this in more detail

What was the symptom of the corruption for example did anything usb suddenly stop working,if you plug a a laser mouse in does the laser light up:confused: do other usb devices work or is it just the keyboard and mouse

When you check device manager when logged on as a guest is there an exclaimation mark next to the PS2 keyboard:confused: also try booting up with just the ps2 mouse connected it may halt due to your bios settings,if so go into bios select halt on nothing save and exit,while logged on as a guest with just the ps2 mouse connect the USB keyboard, does it work ?If so restart and try and log into your account

post your specs:)

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/announcement.php?f=22

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds