is there a verify tool for Microsoft Office to validate license?

Discussion in 'Software' started by kspoor, Jan 31, 2009.

1. kspoor

kspoor Private E-2

Where I work I believe they are using several pieces of software - that they have NOT secured the license to. Not an oversight - more of a worry about it later mentality.

Anyone know of a USB launched tool that will validate the license of Microsoft Office 2007? The systems are some what locked down and I do not have install privileges. Curious how I validate the number of licenses they are supposed to have with the number of computers it is installed on.

They are also using the free version of AD-Aware 2007 to repair malware issues on computers (just cause it's the older version don't make it right!).

I have purchased everything I use at home - having paid a lot of my hard earned money over the years for the software that I use for work... they can and should do the same.

Any ideas?? Thanks!

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I understand your feelings about this. I experienced the same mentality years ago when I was working for a small business where software was illegally installed on multiple computers; for example, MS Office 97 was installed on multiple computers from a single licence disk. What made it even more distastful was that the business was quite financially able to buy whatever software they needed.

You might report them to Business Software Alliance (BSA). Click on the menu link for Report Privacy. I suggest you do this away from the office. Heaven forbid someone in the office found a trace of evidence that you visited this website from the office.

BSA has serious enforcement authority. They can take action leading to fines and other penalties for violations of software licensing agreements.

Re: your question about MS Office validation, I believe the answer is yes. With recent versions of Office, the software must be registered after a certain length of time after installation or after a certain number of startings of the software application or else it will stop working. If the same software is registered online from different computers, that will be detected by Microsoft.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds