DDR2 533 Mhz in a DDR2 667 Mhz min motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pclover, Sep 19, 2009.

1. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Can you use DDR2 553 MHz in a motherboard that supports 667 Mhz min? A friend asked me but I'm unsure.

2. Zmodem

Zmodem Private E-2

My quick answer would be yes, because I'm almost certain that DIMM slots will slow down for slower memory, but I can't be sure without knowing the exact model of the board. Some boards, and DIMM slots on certain boards, are not capable of this feature.

3. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

he said it was a Asus p5kpl-am/ps

It says 667 Min

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

It should work. At the worst, the board will simply not boot, there's no risk of damage. After doing some research, it does appear that the mobo does not "officially" support DDR2-533, and it also looks like the Intel G31 chipset does not support the 533 memory either, but you can at least try it. DDR2 is so cheap now, you can get 2gb of Corsair DDR2-667 for under $35 at Newegg (link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...098&cm_re=2_x_1gb_DDR2-_-20-145-098-_-Product FREE SHIPPING!!!)

5. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Yeh DDR2 ram is cheap. I will let him know.

6. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

I wouldn't recommend it. It's not going to cause any harm, it will most likely just refuse to work, but if it does work, I've seen it cause problems.

My advise is, play it safe, and buy that DDR2-667 that dlb linked to. You can't go wrong with Corsair.

7. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

I have some Corsair DDR ram in a older pc. it's awesome ram

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds