acer aspire one ram update problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hammy72, Aug 11, 2011.

1. hammy72

hammy72 Private E-2

hi everyone!

i have an acer aspire one zg5 (AO A110). i'm aware of the 512M internal ram on this model but i wanted to add an extra 1G to it. the problem is when i put the additional ram in it affects the graphics: the screen is partly blank and everything is shifted to on side :confused. i've tried this with two different ram kits but got the same results. will you please tell me what am i doing wrong? or is there anything else i should do.
    thanks a million.

2. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

If you have a 1g stick and a 512m stick, make sure your 1g stick is in slot 1 and your 512m stick in slot 2 .
    (Slot 1 is closest to your CPU)

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

The netbook only has one slot so the owner pulled the 512MB stick and replaced it with a 1GB stick. (512 MB is soldered to the motherboard and can not be removed). It can take a max of 1.5GB (a 1GB stick and the soldered in place RAM).

The memory needs to be PC5300 (533mhz) DDR2. Are the sticks you tried the correct memory?

4. hammy72

hammy72 Private E-2

thanks for you replies. i haven't checked the type of stick (which i believe was stupid of me!!) i'll check and will post the result.
    thanks again.

5. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

Netbook. Oh. Sorry hammy72, should have googled that model number. Dangit.
    Trust me, there are people with GOOD advice on this forum ;)
    If you didn't check the memory specs then that's likely your problem. Nice save, plodr.
    -10 pts me for not knowing the unit before open my giant yap.

6. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Nah, FED UP, you don't lose any points.
    We've all missed things here.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds