launch problem - dial up prompt

Discussion in 'Software' started by chris_h_au_wa, Sep 17, 2004.

1. chris_h_au_wa

chris_h_au_wa Private E-2

hi hoping someone can solve a problem for me. cant seem to find a solution in faq and excuse if this seems simple.
    Every time I turn on the computer (Win 98, Pentium, 128RAM - old computer) my dial-up program prompts me to dial in. It tries to do this at
    least 20 times every time the computer is switched on.
    Pressing Cancel 20 times every time I switch on is very
    annoying. Any help most appreciated. :)

2. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

Windows can be set to try to dial a connection anytime an application attempts to access the internet, most typically for when you open your browser when you are not already connected. So the best guess is that something is trying to access the internet, whether you are aware of it or not. The behavior is typical of dialer trojans, so you should probably do a thorough virus and spyware scan/removal.

3. skipper

skipper Private E-2

try this-go to start-run-type msconfig-go to start up programs-and see if its in the list and remove it-reboot...do you update your os at windows update? if not you should and i noticed the software called ad-aware works pretty good..

4. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

I think a little visit to our Spyware Forum would reap dividends, The Doug is right, does seem like typical trojan/dialler behaviour, although a little unsubtle. Skippers right too, it could be one of your settings, you know, connect at start up.

Have a little look in your taskbar settings, in the startup section, just to see if you have any internety stuff in there.

5. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I use W98SE as well. Try

Start-->-Settings--->Control Panel--->Internet Options---> Connections.

Make sure "never dial a connection" is selected. This should solve your problem. Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds