Motherboard on power AFTER shutdown? HELP!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lith, Nov 8, 2006.

1. lith

lith Private E-2

Hi

I bought a new computer 2 days ago, the installation went without any problems (!). What I wanted to ask is maybe not a very serious problem but it's quite annoying.

To cut long story short - my optical mouse and net card appear to be still powered after the computer was shut down - the net slot blinks, the mouse glows red ;-)

I'm still using the same ATX chassis (?) from my old computer, apart from that almost everything is new - the motherboard, processor, RAM. I'm still running my old hard drive though. But I don't believe it has anything to do with it.

Maybe I forgot something? a cable to plug in or what? Myabe this is important - my old computer used only the 24 pin ATX power supply cord, the new required plugging in the ATX 12 V as well. Or maybe the ATX (not 12V) should be removed then? I have no idea.

So far I am forced to shutdown completely by turning the power off with the switch at the back of the chassis but, well, I don't want to do this forever.

My system specs:

motherboard Gigabyte GA-M55S-S3
    processor AMD AThlon 3500+ socket AM2
    RAM Kingston 2x 512 MB DDR2 CL5
    graphics Gigabyte GeForce 7300GT
    hard drive Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST3120022A
    the power supply is a 4life/400 Tracer

Please help, people.. Any hypotheses..suggestions..anything!

Thanks a lot for any replies

2. sl00py99

sl00py99 Private First Class

:eek: Hi. Sounds like your pc is set for WOL (Wake On Lan). When your pc begins to boot, enter the BIOS setup utility, and look to see if WOL is selected. There should be no reason why you couldn't turn this off. Good night and good luck.

3. lith

lith Private E-2

Thanks, I tried that, although there is nothing in my BIOS that literally says "disable booting from LAN". I've discovered after hours of searching that some slots on power are simply a result of..Gigabyte standrads. At least according to their official site. Good for recharging batteries & stuff. yea right.
    I still want to get rid of this , but I think I'll post it as another question now.

Once again, thanks a lot
    Lith

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds