everything green screen on gateway w/win98

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sgt.pepper, Feb 10, 2007.

1. sgt.pepper

sgt.pepper Private E-2

a friend of mine , an older woman, has a 1999 gateway computer, pIII@450mhz.
    her machine recently stopped being on full color when she works off line, eg: poker, etc..
    the thing is, when she is online, everything is in full color. all the rest of the time everything is in various shades of green?
    what th.....?
    i've tried fooling around in display from control, but nothing seemed to work. got any ideas?
    really appreciate any input.
    thanks

2. Fallen Angel

Fallen Angel Private First Class

thats.. pretty freakin weird lol.. fixable for around 10$ though.. new video card or a new monitor.. you can get crts for free off of craigslist..

3. splitt3r

splitt3r You are now the victim of a drive by title change

test it with a different monitor, if that doesn't work it is probably a video card problem and she might need a new video card, it is a pretty ancient machine, so a $20 video card would be plenty good enough if it has to be replaced.

4. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Hmm... sounds like a software problem, rather than a hardware issue. First thing I'd recommend, is hitting the monitor. Not very hard mind you, just with the palm of the hand on the side. If it causes a temporary fix, you'll know it's the monitor. I had a similar problem with yellow.

5. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Check the monitor cable. Sometimes a bad cable will cause off color changes. Not sure why it would work ok online and not work when offline though.

E

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds