No Users on Welcome Screen after Switch User

Discussion in 'Software' started by linuxpowers, Jan 4, 2010.

1. linuxpowers

linuxpowers Corporal

I have 4 other users on this computer (win xp home edition). When I log off, I usually just click on "Switch User" and land back on the welcome screen looking at all 5 user icons. Recently, I have noticed that when I "Switch User", I go to the welcome screen but no user icons are present.

This doesn't happen every time because I performed the same process several times w/out an issue. But, I just noticed the same thing again tonight and thought I should start looking into it.

To let you know, I just started seeing this after I installed Online Armor. Not sure if that matters but it is what I've done recently. Maybe OA is blocking something?

Also, I had some malware issues a few weeks ago and installed Malwarebytes. Updated it first, then updated and ran it every 24 hours afterwards for a week. Also installed CCleaner and run that after each Malwarebytes scan. Also ran defrag after first set of scans. System seems to be fine now, but just noticed the welcome screen issue 2 days ago after OA install.

Thanks so much for your time!

2. linuxpowers

linuxpowers Corporal

I wanted to just edit my previous post but couldn't figure out how!

Anyway, after I made that post, I went ahead and ran malwarebytes again just for good measure...and sure enough, it found 3 instances of "disabled.securitycenter removal" in the registry.

I suppose I should I start all over and go back to "READ & RUN ME" again.

3. linuxpowers

linuxpowers Corporal

:) I think your first sentence summed it up..."You could still have Virus and stuff on your computer"

I've spent the last 2 nights looking for something online about this and I found most of the issues you posted, but none of them seem to describe what I was having issues with....at least not yet!

Right now I'm just going back through the "READ & RUN ME" post and see if I missed anything the first time. I already see I forgot to eliminate all the JAVA updates....meant to go back to that when I was done...ooops!

Anyway, I appreciate your taking the time to answer my query Goldenskull and I will post back when I finish house-cleaning...just to post the score!

Thanks Again!

4. linuxpowers

linuxpowers Corporal

OK...I went back to "READ & RUN ME FIRST"! I've gotten as far as MGTools, so far so good. But, MGTools.exe only does part of what the instructions are telling me.

I double-clicked on it and a command prompt window did show up...for about a milli-sec then disappeared. I went back and looked and sure enough, it created a folder with a bunch of batch files in it.

But, here's the glitch. I don't believe it ran those batch files because there is no folder with the .zip files in it, only a temp folder.

Now, I suspect the application (analyse.exe), located in that newly created folder is what needs to be started in order to run those batch files and create that zip folder...am I correct in this assumption?

Since I try to follow directions to the letter, I will wait for a response to this issue before moving on. - thanks!

5. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

If you are checking your box for viruses and you ran all the scans you could according to the instructions and you are still having issues, then you should be posting the logs of your scans in the malware removal forum and wait for your turn to receive the help you need.

If you are told that your logs are clean, them come back here for help, somebody is always able to help out.

But you need to follow the procedures.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I assume you are at the MGTools step.
    Did you do that?
    Is mgtools.exe in the correct location?

7. linuxpowers

linuxpowers Corporal

Ah....to answer your question plodr, I did all of that and yes, it's located in C:\ (C:\MGTools.exe)

But, you need to understand, I'm a bit apprehensive talking about it in this thread anymore due to Senior Member brandypeppy's instructions to "follow procedures" and open a new thread in the malware removal forum, for which I went ahead and did.

If you would like to pursue this topic further, could I get you to possibly visit that thread instead?

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=207333

I apologize for any inconvenience and I appreciate your input.

8. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

But, you need to understand, I'm a bit apprehensive talking about it in this thread anymore due to Senior Member brandypeppy's instructions to "follow procedures" and open a new thread in the malware removal forum, for which I went ahead and did.

Linux,

No apprehension is needed here. This is an extremely helpful and friendly community, as long as one doesn't misbehave too badly.

The malware fighters are the best there are, but they also are very busy, remember this is all done probono. It may take a few days to get one of them to pick up on your thread, so be patient and don't bump your thread, they work on first-in, first-out, so bumping actually puts you back at the bottom.

Good luck!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds