Can't play video or audio files

Discussion in 'Software' started by summerskies23, Dec 4, 2011.

1. summerskies23

summerskies23 Private E-2

I am going nuts. I can't play any video files or DVD's on my laptop (Satellite L505D; Win 7 HP SP1) unless they're online (i.e. youtube). Same for mp3 files. I've run a SFC scan and installed a new codec package. I've tried win media player, WinDVD, toshiba DVD player, Media Player Classic, Roxio, etc. Anyone have any suggestions??

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I found this
    Maybe you need to use these to play your personal CDs and DVDs.

What player is included besides WMP when you purchased the notebook?

3. summerskies23

I saw that somewhere too but I don't have keyboard multimedia controls on mine. The Toshiba DVD player and WinDVD came installed.

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

What happens when you try to play a video file in media player classic? No sound, no video and no error message?

Try VLC and see if it allows you to play video. You can download a portable version and run the exe and choose to Browse to the desktop and it will automatically make a new folder to hold the files(you don't have to hit the make a new folder button). Then after it unpacks the files just go into the folder and run the VLC_portable application. See if you can play a video or audio file from there. This just allows you to test VLC without installing another player to your computer.

If it plays the files then we know the problem has something to do with media player classic or WMP.

5. summerskies23

Thanks. In Media Player Classic I get nothing except "cannot render file" on the bottom status bar.

All I get in VLC is about 3 seconds of half green/half pixelated video (no audio) then it says it's encountered an error and needs to close.

6. sach2

I'm sure the files are fine but check one of your video files using Gspot and see what video and audio codec is used and whether or not the codec is installed.

Picture of gspot attached (too big to attach without zipping).

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  7. summerskies23

The codecs are installed.

8. sach2

I'm really at a loss here.

You have system wide codecs installed. VLC portable has its own internal codecs so it should have been able to play even if you hadn't. Mp3 playback should be native to Win7 in of itself.

Will an audio CD play?
    Does a freshly downloaded mp3 play?
    What about a wmv file?
    Do you get a "problem rendering file" message with audio files too?

I'm really not sure where to go next if all those files don't play. I've never seen that before and can't find any threads where all media playback is broken.

9. summerskies23

Glad it's not just me.

No luck with audio cd's, freshly downloaded mp3's, or wmv's.

In media player classic the mp3 track starts and says it's playing but there is no audio. In iTunes or other programs the tracks never start.

10. summerskies23

Anyone else have any suggestions?

11. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

You can try a driver check,, maybe the cards ,,but really I'm at a loss too!
    CALLING on any and allhelp out there!!!!

12. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

I am not sure if this will solve your problem but for DVD's if you right click your DVD drive in Device Manager and select properties, is your region set under the region tab?

There are no yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager, correct?

You can temporarily Disable Windows Media Center and see if that helps.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/15530/uninstall-disable-or-remove-windows-7-media-center/

What is the exact model number of your Satellite. There should be about 5 or 6 alphanumeric digits past the L505D

13. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Thanks tgell,,,I really haven't got a clue!!!!

14. summerskies23

Thanks; region is correct, no exclamation points in device manager, disabling WMC hasn't fixed it, and I can't find where I'd get the rest of the model number.

15. summerskies23

16. sach2

This isn't going to answer why all the different types of files aren't working but I want to figure out why mp3s aren't working which shouldn't need any external codecs.

If while playing an mp3 in media player classic, you right-click the speaker symbol in the left of the system tray and select Open Mixer is media player classic showing other than minimum volume and not muted?

With it still playing go to Control Panel and Troubleshooting and run the Audio Playback troubleshooter. See if it finds no problems.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds