I Need a Borland Sidekick replacement.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Caliban, Apr 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings.

For years, I've used the Sidekick notecard program from Borland - it's a great program, infinitely customizable, very easy, solid. Worked great in all iterations of Windows from 95 through Vista (see screenshot).

Well, I now have a Win 7 64-bit machine as my main, and I cannot get Sidekick to run - trust me, I've tried all the tricks.

So, I'm looking for a replacement. I'm not a database hound, so I don't like the OpenOffice or Windows Contacts formats - I just need a simple, free notecard program that's 64-bit compatible. I've tried EverNotes, Open Contacts, etc., and they are not up to snuff. AZZ Cardfile is not free, despite claims otherwise.

I'll try any and all suggestions - thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

Have you tried copying the software from your old computer to your new one?

3. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

4. Caliban

Hey, theefool.

Yeah, I've got the setup files and everything - it just will not run on a 64-bit machine, even in a virtual box, in 32-bit emulation, or in any type of compatibility mode. It's a really old software, with copyrights of 1984 and 1995, so I'm not going to waste any more time trying to crank it up. I just need a similar program that'll run on modern machines.

@ tgell: Yep, tried Open Contacts, but I had a lot of trouble trying to import the databases. I'll give it another shot, but I got a bad feeling about it.

5. theefool

theefool Geekified

Well, I have it running on a xp vm right now, just can't get passed a weird error on windows 7.

6. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

@ theefool, does your VM log a corresponding error?

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

No, it works in the VM, just not in 7. I essentially, copied it from the vm, to win7. It gave an error about a missing .dll. I copied the .dll, and got an odd error.

Attached Files:

• odd.png
      odd.png
      File size:
      19.8 KB
      Views:
  8. theefool

theefool Geekified

@Caliban: What version of windows 7 are ye running? Home/Premium/Pro/Enterprise/Ultimate?

9. theefool

theefool Geekified

Attached Files:

10. Caliban

Home Premium, 64-bit - which of course, will not run XP Mode - which of course, I didn't know before spending an hour downloading and installing 3 different MS packages, only to find out that it won't run on this machine...:mad

11. theefool

theefool Geekified

Sorry. uh, upgrade? :-D I've read other threads where you can get it to work natively in windows 7 x64. I just can't do it, since I don't have the CD. The download I found was the 1 file solution. Others who have ran it, were using the multiple disk option. I don't have those, couldn't find them. Otherwise, I'd help out. Pretty neat software.

12. Grampster

Grampster Private E-2

I have used Sidekick 95 for years. My latest computer had Windows 7 32bit installed and ran Sidekick flawlessly. I recently upgraded my system to 64bit (I have the MS CD software). I installed Sidekick again and it's still functioning flawlessly (been using it almost everyday). Sorry to say this, but if Sidekick doesn't run on your Win7 64bit, the problem is not Sidekick. You may have to purchase Win7 software and reinstall it rather than a 1-file solution.

13. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

@ Grampster

Hello and welcome to MGs. As this thread is 2 years old, I'm going to close it. While we appreciate people helping out, in the future please note the date of the question. It is more than likely that Caliban is no longer having this issue.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds