Unable to connect to internet on laptop with wireless router with DSL

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tritongal, Aug 10, 2006.

1. tritongal

tritongal Private E-2

I just moved to Florida and I just hooked up DSL internet through Bellsouth and I have a router that I used where I used to live that was hooked up through cable internet. I am having trouble getting my laptop to hook up to the internet even though the DSL is working just fine on my desktop. My laptop is an HP, I'm not actually sure about any of the specs, but I'm sure that I could find them. I'm not computer savvy at all, so I would definitely need everything put in layman's terms, please. If there's anyone that can help, it would be greatly appreciated. If more information is needed, please, ask. Thank you.

2. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Is the current configuration (router/laptop) unchanged from your working one in the previous location? If so, it should continue to work in your new location because the wireless network configuration should not have had to be altered.

Can you confirm that your wireless radio is on? Most laptops have a button, switch or key sequence that can turn on/off the wireless radio. Do you "see" your wireless network when you scan for available networks?

3. tritongal

tritongal Private E-2

actually what's going on, yeah me, i kinda figured it out, is that my router is not recognizing that i have internet connected to my desktop. in fact, when i route the internet through the router first, it is not recognized by my computer. now i'm having other issues with my router. as far as i can tell, the internet stops at my router and goes "huh" and stops there.

4. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

5. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

I'm sorry but I don't understand.

From your DSL modem you should be connected to the WAN port of the router. You wired PC should be connected to port 1-4 of your router.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds