Hard Drive Full???????????

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JayKay, Sep 15, 2006.

1. JayKay

JayKay Private E-2

Help. My hard drive is full, but I know it is not. When I click on properties, it say's it is full. 180Gb. Jez, I don't have that much stuff on it. My fault I know, but it has not been fragmented in awhile. And now I cant frag. I am wondering if it's that that is causing the problem. I have Diskeeper, ran that, and it wont defrag cause there is no space, only 7% available. I cant delete anything cause there is not that much to delete.. Helppppppp.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

3. BCGray

BCGray Guest

You might also try turning off "System Restore" if you are certain you do not have any Malware, this will give you some head room on your HD, please please make certain you reneable "System Restore" after your finished. Hope that helps

4. JayKay

JayKay Private E-2

Activescan is looking, but I'm sure there is nothing. I will try system restore next. I have,
    Norton Anti Virus
    Spybot Search and Destroy
    and I'm firewall too.

5. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

As BCGray suggests, turning off System Restore will get you 27 gigs, or more, free space, as MS usually reserves 12% of your hard drive space for System Restore.

Also, as suggested, remember to turn it back on after you defrag.

And re-set System Restore space to 1-2%.
    That will give you around 3 gigs, on your size hard drive, which is plenty for most users.
    Bazza

===

6. JayKay

JayKay Private E-2

Guys thanks but that did not work. Turned off sys restore, still reading 10.9Gb available. (180Gb). I am at a loss.

7. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

1)download and run ccleaner, should clean up sum stuff

2)delete any programs u dont use

8. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Try dumping some of your stuff to CD/DVD........ ie. documents , pictures , music this will clear the required room, and you can transfer it back later, obviously DVD's would be the best. Hope that helps Irish

9. bigbazza

Curious? Is your system restore on at the moment?
    If it is, what is the percentage it is set at?

If off, maybe turn it on again, and reset the slider bar to a smaller percentage.
    Maybe reboot afterwards, to be sure, to be sure. :D

There is a slider bar that you move up or down, to increase or decrease the space reserved on your hard drive for Restore points.

If you have a hard drive bigger than 60 gigs, for example, 1 or 2% should be ample for most users, hopefully saving lots of hard drive space.
    In my 60 gig hard drive, I have reset it to 3% (from 12% default).
    It gives me approx 1.5gigs for Restores. More than enough for me as I wipe old restore points occasionally and start all over again.

(For anyone else interested in checking their system, go to Start-->Control Panel-->System--->System Restore for the slider bar)

Bazza

===

10. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Check your bios for any changes ...make sure LBA is enabled ....

11. Sasumi

Sasumi Private E-2

Curious, did you run disk cleanup (located in start/all programs/accesories/system tools)? You might also consider just going through your computer, check folders to see where the majority of your space is being used. Sometimes there's a program that is overloaded with unneccesary files taking up a lot of space. Can also do a search for all your .tmp files, and delete them. There's some other file extensions to search for and delete, but off the top of my head, I can't remember well enough to mention without the possibility of being <cough> wrong.

12. bigbazza

Check out http://www.utilitygeek.com/Scanner_f138.html :cool:

Scanner is a very fast program that displays a pie chart of your hard drive usage.
    You can click on any pie slice to drop down even further.:cool:

Simple, small, and fast to use. Bazza

Not available through MG downloads, though. :p Baz

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds