anti virus software

Discussion in 'Software' started by montyq, Sep 26, 2006.

1. montyq

montyq Private E-2

I recently installed avg& avast freeware & neither would update . error message to this effect "can not connect to server.any thots?? using winxp sp2.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hope you didnt install both at once or they will conflict with each other, best to only have one installed at a time,

BUT to a possible.. do you have a firewall and if so what? check its Program Control/Software List and make sure its not blocking AVG or AVAST from connecting to the internet. If you see either AVG or AVAST in the listings set its access rigths to ALLOW, Always Allow, a tick or whatever your firewalls option is to allow the software to access the net.

3. sultan_emerr

sultan_emerr Private E-2

If you are using Internet Explorer Browser, go to tools/options, and make the url for Avast a trusted, allowed and exempted site(set trusted sites to LOW security).

4. montyq

montyq Private E-2

thnx halo
    I did not have firewall Installed. I did Install avg, avast seperatly. To update, It seems that avast Is working now,but why avg did not update Is beyond me. By the way which anti-virus Is best??
    thnx, & LATER

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Possible that AVG or AVASTs update servers were down or just too busy at the time you were updating.

To which is best is a loaded question as you will get everyone and their cat with replies to various antivirus software which they concider the best*, do you mean out of AVG or Avast or in general ( paid or free as well ) ?

Out of those two free ones, both are good and well liked.

If Paid, then many like Nod32 or Kaspersky.

*as to best, well the best one is the one that keeps you free from malware.... be that free or paid, makes no difference. Also Antivirus applications are only one part of the arsenal against malware, other items are competent firewall, antispyware and the most underestimated malware protection of all, the user, by user I mean not downloading software from unreliable sources, being click happy with every popup that warns you that your infected to keeping your operating system upto date with all security updates and patches.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds