Windows Vista - startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically

Discussion in 'Software' started by berowsk, Sep 18, 2011.

1. berowsk

berowsk Private E-2

Hi there,

The other day I was trying to help my friend clean up his computer by removing adware and spyware and such. He then played a game through steam, his computer went haywire, blue screen, shut off and when you try to turn it back on, everything is doubled vertically with a pixel thick line through the middle. I tried booting through safe mode, but the only option I got was startup repair. I ran a Startup Repair:

Problem Event Name: StartupRepairV2
    Problem Signature 01: AutoFailover
    Problem Signature 02: 6.0.6000.16386.6.0.6001.18000
    Problem Signature 03: 6
    Problem Signature 04: 393222
    Problem Signature 05: NoRootCause
    Problem Signature 06: NoRootCause
    Problem Signature 07: 0
    Problem Signature 08: 0
    Problem Signature 09: unknown
    Problem Signature 10: 1168
    OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033

What should I do next?

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

When you get the startup repair screen choose the next button to get to advanced options. You should have 5 choices including System Restore. See if there are any restore points available.

3. berowsk

berowsk Private E-2

I'm currently waiting on him to text me his administrator login info. In the meantime, here's a pic of the visual issue that's going along with the problem.
    [​IMG]

4. berowsk

berowsk Private E-2

Running the restore now, we'll see how it turns out.

5. berowsk

berowsk Private E-2

I ran the restore, and the screen is still looking like the picture that I posted, I will try posting it again.

6. berowsk

berowsk Private E-2

7. berowsk

berowsk Private E-2

Problem Event Name: StartupRepairV2
    Problem Signature 01: AutoFailover
    Problem Signature 02: 6.0.6000.16386.6.0.6001.18000
    Problem Signature 03: 6
    Problem Signature 04: 524296
    Problem Signature 05: NoRootCause
    Problem Signature 06: NoRootCause
    Problem Signature 07: 0
    Problem Signature 08: 0
    Problem Signature 09: unknown
    Problem Signature 10: 1168
    OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033

8. sach2

You may have to use an online resizer to get the picture under the 99kb limit or put it up on photobucket or somewhere.

Sounds like it could just be a coincidence and it might be a hardware problem. Try doing a print screen and pasting it into Paint and look to see if the screenshot is clear or shows the same lines.

Also, try safe mode to see if you get a clear screen using generic video drivers. (F8 at startup)

9. berowsk

berowsk Private E-2

10. berowsk

berowsk Private E-2

I'm running another restore from an earlier point right now. Can using a program to look through registry errors that I know was virus free create this issue or is it a coincidence? I'm now running a second restore to a point where I didn't do anything with the computer.

11. sach2

I've never seen that before. Now because it is on the Gateway screen it seems like it would have to be a hardware situation since Windows hasn't started yet. Or am I missing something in that the Please Wait... looks like a Windows message? Either way it appears that it is before Windows loads up user installed video drivers.

Does entering BIOS also give you the same double screen? (F1 or F2) immediately after powering on?

I generally stay away from registry programs because they don't actually speed much up and can cause damage. Occasionally, I'll let CCleaner's registry function clean out some old associations but that is about it. So, yes a registry cleaner can cause damage, even reputable ones. I don't think that is the case here. It looks like bad graphics card to me--do you have another you could test?

12. berowsk

berowsk Private E-2

Nothing to use to test, and I didn't delete anything from registry, just looked through it to see if anything was off. When booting BIOS, it boots double as well. The process when booting without any buttons being pressed goes (all doubled):

1)Gateway Screen
    2)Status loading bar with windows info under it but just a black screen
    3)Static and flickering of the screen.

Could I test it by plugging it into a monitor via HDMI?

13. sach2

One thing are you saying you don't get safe mode options at F8?

You could try HDMI but most likely all outputs from the card will be the same. If BIOS is doubled it is either the monitor or the card. Seems the card is far more likely.

I'm just not sure why Windows isn't booting all the way in even if a bad graphics card.

14. berowsk

berowsk Private E-2

I ran a chkdsk/r and it's attempting the repairs right now.

The only options I get at F8 are Startup Repair and Start Windows Normally. When clicking SWN, the screen goes to the green ever-moving bar and the "Windows Inc." footnote but no Windows logo. After a while of loading, this disappears, the screen goes black besides the line through the middle, and starts flickering.
    ------------------

The repairs didn't work. Same issue.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  15. sach2

I edited my last post saying go ahead and try the hdmi cable but it will probably give the same output. I'm fairly sure it is a bad card. If the PC doesn't have an onboard graphics chip, I think you're going to have to find a card to verify unless someone else sees something I am missing here.

16. SerenaJJones

SerenaJJones Private E-2

Hi,

In order to fix this problem, follow these steps:
    1. Try restarting the computer, and press F8 (the function 8 key) after the BIOS boot screen (Manufacturer splash screen) 2. This should give you the list of (Start Windows Normally, Safe Mode, ETC.) Find the option called “Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure”.
    3. Select this option, and continue booting. This will allow you to see the bluescreen for more than a "microsecond."
    4. Now insert your Vista DVD in the computer's drive and boot from it (if your computer doesn't boot from it automatically, you'll have to access the for your laptop and select the CD/DVD drive option.
    5. Once you boot from the DVD and the windows - like screen comes up, click continue, then Repair My Computer. (Bottom left of the second window.) You should be able to run startup repair from here, and it should recover your operating system to the default state.
    You must need to carefully follow the above steps as any wrong step may cause the serious problem with your computer system. As you must need to be little advanced to be work in Windows BIOS, you can download Windows Vista repair Tool which will help you to fix your problem with Windows Vista. You can read the instruction to use this tool on this page: http://www.windowsvistastartup.com/

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds